An invasive disease of coccidiosis in rabbits occurs due to unicellular parasites that affect the intestines and liver of animals. They penetrate the body from infected individuals through dirty food, water, feeders. The disease leads to high mortality in young animals, loss of live weight, delayed growth and loss of nutritional properties of meat.
What does rabbit coccidiosis look like?
If a domestic rabbit is ill with coccidiosis, his liver or intestines are affected. Many small whitish (with a diameter of millet grain) nodules appear on the organs, which appear through the shell of the organ. They contain a creamy mass similar to cottage cheese, in which the simplest coccidia are located. They secrete toxic waste products and poison the body of the pet. Parasites are present in almost every eared and do no harm, but with adverse factors, they begin to multiply rapidly and the disease goes into a dangerous stage.
Signs of Coccidiosis in Rabbits
There are two forms of the disease. chronic and acute. There are criteria by which it is possible to determine the hepatic or intestinal variety of ailments. Coccidiosis in rabbits. basic symptoms:
- bloating, persistent diarrhea;
- feces blood and mucus;
- temperature rises;
- Pets eat poorly and do not gain in mass;
- weight loss of an individual, tarnishing of the coat;
- in the future, the nervous system is destroyed. convulsions of the hind legs, back, syndrome of the “thrown back head” are observed, which signal the imminent death of the patient;
- the mucous membranes of the eyes and mouth become yellowness;
- abdomen greatly sagging, becomes flabby;
- the wool loses its luster and looks disheveled and untidy;
- digestive disorders, diarrhea;
Symptoms of the disease begin to be detected 2-3 days after infection. In acute intestinal coccidiosis in rabbits, animals die within 10 days. With liver damage, the course of the disease is more protracted. the animals die after 50 days. Some pets can survive the disease without death and serious consequences. while they become carriers of infection and subsequently lag behind in development. Such individuals should be protected from the remaining population and drug therapy should be carried out.
Coccidiosis in rabbits. treatment
Terrible coccidiosis in rabbits is well treated. With the timely start of therapy, the prognosis for animals is favorable. Before treating coccidiosis in rabbits, all the flaws in the content and nutrition of the population are eliminated. Then drugs are used. sulfonamides, nitrofurans, antibiotics. The main principle is the constant change of drugs every 1-2 years to prevent addiction to the causative agent of coccidiosis. Auxiliary nutrients that increase the effectiveness of therapy are also recommended.
Treatment of coccidiosis in rabbits with iodine
When coccidiosis occurs in rabbits, iodine preparations, which act as a powerful antioxidant, bring tangible benefits to pets. They inhibit the process of reproduction of parasites and serve as support for the thyroid gland, which is responsible for the healthy functioning of the whole organism. How to treat rabbits for coccidiosis with iodine:
- prepare a 0.01% solution. 10 ml of 10% or 2 ml of 5% iodine tincture is poured into 1 liter of pure water. In this case, use plastic or glassware;
- females before birth are prescribed 100 ml of a 0.01% solution from the 25th day of pregnancy and up to 5 days of lactation. After that, take a break, then from 10 to 15 days of feeding give a 0.02% solution of 200 ml;
- immediately after precipitation, the rabbits are given a 0.01% solution of iodine at the rate of 50 ml per individual for the first 10 days. After a 5-day pause, then 5-7 days give 70 ml of a 0.02% solution, then another 7 days in a row. 100 ml of a 0.02% solution.
Lactic acid from rabbit coccidiosis
Ordinary lactic acid is a yellowish liquid, it is produced by fermentation of lactose-containing products by bacteria. In rabbit farming, it is known as an antimicrobial and antiseptic drug, sold in pharmacies. When lactic acid is added to food for pets, their digestive system is strengthened, food is absorbed faster, and the negative impact of roughage is reduced. In animals, bloating decreases, flatulence stops.
Before you drink rabbits from coccidiosis with lactic acid, it must be bred in the required proportion. For internal use, the dose is: with a 2% solution. 4 ml per individual, with a 3% solution. 3-5 ml. Give the drug for 5 days. It inhibits the growth of painful microflora, the formation of harmful organic products in the disease decreases.
Apple cider vinegar for rabbits from coccidiosis
To the question of how to solder rabbits from coccidiosis, many breeders advise adding natural apple cider vinegar to them. It increases the body’s assimilation of animal products by 20%, animals begin to gain weight better. It is added to drinkers at a concentration of 2 tbsp. liters per 5 liters of water. Young growth begins to be watered from the age of 3 weeks to 4 months. The drink helps to avoid bloating and diarrhea.
Drugs for the treatment of coccidiosis in rabbits
For the treatment of ailment, special medications are relevant that will help maintain the number of pets. With such therapy, the content of vitamins B1 and A should be increased in the portion of animal nutrition. Preparations for coccidiosis for rabbits:
- sulfadimethoxin: it is given together with food. on the first day, 0.2 g per kilogram of live weight, then four days, 0.1 g per 1 kg of body weight. Then pause for 5 days and duplicate the course again;
- furazolidone: applied once at the rate of 30 mg of medication per 1 kg of rabbit weight;
- give 5 days of 0.3-0.4 g of norsulfazole and 0.1 g of phthalazole per 1 kg of pet weight, after 5 days of break the course is repeated.
Prevention of coccidiosis in rabbits
Coccidiosis in rabbits can be prevented. To prevent the disease, it is important to adhere to the following rules:
- follow a diet (balanced high quality food, vitamins and minerals);
- the transition from dry to juicy food should be carried out gradually. starting with dried green grass;
- remove from the menu food with a high content of proteins, which can lead to the appearance of the disease. milk or milk powder, bran from wheat and alfalfa;
- comply with sanitary rules (cleaning the home, lack of excrement in food and liquid for pets);
- young individuals are kept in groups (not exceeding 25 goals);
- disinfection of housing and equipment every 2 weeks with a blowtorch fire;
- arrangement of feeders, eliminating the ingress of litter into bowls;
- the absence of drafts, dampness, and sudden temperature changes in the room;
- quarantine of new individuals lasting 30 days.
Coccidiosis vaccinations for rabbits
The rabbit coccidiosis vaccine has not yet been invented. Prevention of a dangerous disease is recommended by the method of feeding animals with coccidiostatics. Bycox has proven itself impeccably. a drug of a new generation. It has an increased effect, has no side effects even when the dosage is exceeded and is used both to prevent the disease and to treat severely ill individuals.
The drug is available in two dosages. 2.5 and 5.0. Prevention is planned twice a year (in early spring and autumn). 1 ml of Baykoks 2.5 is diluted in 1 liter of water, after which the product is bottled for 4 days in a row. Then pause for 4 days. Then pets are fed another 4 days. The fluid in the tanks changes every day. Baykoks 5.0 is not bred, it is added in its pure form to food for animals, depending on the weight of the individual. The dose should not exceed 7 mg per 1 kg of animal weight.
Prevention of Coccidiosis in Rabbits with Iodine
Another drug for prevention is iodine, from coccidiosis in rabbits it is used in the form of a solution. For this, rabbits, when they are being dragged from their mother, when changing the diet of animals and just for prevention, are poured into drinkers according to the scheme: 2-3 ml per 10 liters of water. You need to drink this solution of pets twice a year for two weeks. This will help to avoid problems with gastrointestinal problems and reduce the death rate from coccidiosis. Iodine preparations are given to pets in the morning before meals, each time preparing a new solution, they should not be poured into metal dishes to avoid reactions.
At what age do rabbits drink from coccidiosis?
Often, coccidiosis in rabbits occurs at a young age, affects babies up to 4 months. For the most part, mature individuals remain carriers of the infection. Therefore, prevention is important for pregnant females and babies, since it is easier to prevent coccidiosis in rabbits than to cure. For this, future women in labor and rabbits after being left from the mother (from about the 45th day of life) are soldered with iodine solution (the scheme was given above).
The drug Baykoks in consistency 2.5 is used to prevent coccidiosis twice a year in spring and autumn, and also 1 week before the mandatory vaccination of rabbits against infectious diseases. Babies begin to solder no earlier than 21 days after they are born. During this period, their body weight should be at least 400-500 grams. The solution is fed to pets for several days.
Is coccidiosis transmitted from rabbits to humans?
It is important that coccidiosis in rabbits is practically not dangerous for humans. Even eating meat from infected animals does not harm people, but you should refuse to eat liver. Before disposal, damaged organs are poured with boiling water for disinfection (parasites die at high temperature) so that oocytes do not circulate throughout the farm. Skins of slaughtered rodents are used for their intended purpose, although they do not receive the first quality category. Cats, dogs, ducks, chickens have their own forms of oocytes, and coccidiosis in rabbits is not dangerous for them, as for humans.