Like other pets, decorative rabbits can get sick, and skin diseases are some of the most common. Among them is ringworm, an infectious disease caused by a fungus. Other types of lichen can occur due to viruses. Therefore, before learning how to cure lichen in a rabbit, we will learn how to determine the type of lichen by its characteristics.
Signs of depriving a rabbit (photo)
The first symptoms of lichen (a barely perceptible rash) are invisible, so most people notice something is wrong only when "bald spots" appear on the skin of their pet. Different lichens look a little different, but they have a number of common features:
- skin rash (appears first);
- bald spots on the skin;
- crusting on bald spots.
Ringworm in rabbits photo.
Types of lichen
Once lichen in a rabbit is found, treatment should be started as soon as possible. But before that, it is necessary to diagnose exactly what we are dealing with, we can do this in appearance:
- Pink lichen. occurs due to the virus and is quite harmless. Most often, the rabbit’s immune system can cope on its own and it disappears for a month and a half.
- Ringworm in rabbits is a dangerous disease of the skin, the pathogen is a fungus. The disease progresses rapidly and small oval-shaped spots (about 2 cm in diameter) “multiply” and grow in size. Scales appear on bald skin. Read about the treatment methods below.
- Pityriasis versicolor. its cause is also a fungal infection. First, a small pink spot appears on the skin, then the color of the affected area changes, acquiring shades from yellow to brown.
- Soaking lichen. it is also called eczema. It occurs as a result of allergies and is non-contagious. The first symptom is a rash, after which swelling appears. Sometimes crusts, vesicles, cracks and spots from pinkish to bluish can be observed. Accompanied by itching.
- Shingles. occurs due to the herpes virus. It is called so because the first symptoms are noticeable precisely in the abdomen and intercostal space. First itching, then liquid vesicles appear, and when they burst, crusts form in their place.
Rabbit deprivation treatment
Unlike pink, ringworm itself will not pass and it will have to be treated with the help of special means (ointments and other antifungal drugs). Treatment should be started as soon as possible after detection. Most often, it is ringworm that affects rabbits, and other species are rare.
Ointment for lichen
First, we cut the hair a little around the infected skin, then to combat deprivation in decorative rabbits you can use:
- Sulfuric ointment;
- Ointment "Yam";
- "Salicylic alcohol".
Usually, the treatment of the affected area should be carried out 2-3 times a day, but an instruction is attached to each of the ointments. follow it.
Photo of ringworm in a rabbit. If you do not start treatment on time, from a small spot we get a big problem.
Vaccines against lichen
Treatment of lichen in a rabbit with a vaccine is carried out only when prescribed by a veterinarian. The following drugs are used:
Dosage is selected according to the instructions attached to these drugs.
Other remedies for lichen
- Shampoos, such as "Doctor" and its analogues. They have antifungal and properties, as they are indicated on the packaging of a specific shampoo.
- Pills are prescribed by veterinarians in advanced cases when lichen has affected large areas of the skin and has shown resistance to ointments.
- Immunostimulants are used as additional means that strengthen the animal’s immunity.
So we learned how to cure lichen in a rabbit. The duration of treatment is usually about two weeks. Note that although successful treatment of depriving rabbits at home is not too difficult, it is best to carry out it under the supervision of a veterinarian.
- How to feed a decorative rabbit
- Breeds of decorative rabbits (list with photos)
- How many decorative rabbits live
Our site is entirely devoted to rabbits and here you will find information about the breeds, diseases and their treatment, care and maintenance, feeding, as well as much more about these pets.