Funny fluffy creatures with long ears. rabbits are often exposed to diseases. A huge accumulation of blood vessels is concentrated in the auricles, which cannot but attract parasites. One of the common diseases is psoroptosis. Among the people just called ear scabies.
How does the disease begin?
The causative agent of the disease is considered a round-shaped tick with a yellow tint, 0.5-0.8 mm long. Lives in the long ears of a rabbit, erects a stroke, lays eggs, and creates posterity. That’s why the rabbit has hot ears.
Psoroptosis infection Rabbit ears happen by several methods:
- from an infected animal to a healthy pet through skin flakes that fall from the ears together with ticks;
- from rabbits to rabbits;
- from other parasites in the cracks of the cell where the infected animal used to be;
- from the owner through work clothes or care items.
In addition, the spread of the disease in rabbit ears, especially when activated in winter and spring, can be influenced by the crowded content of eared pupils, high humidity, poor nutrition, the presence of helminth infections and other infections.
In most cases rabbits are infected from 4 months. An ear mite is often transmitted from an unhealthy rabbit psoroptosis. Adult rabbits get sick by contact method from other animals and the owner. A person is ready to become a prerequisite for psoroptosis of rabbits, to bring infection to clothing, shoes and other items.
Signs of an emerging disease
Big risk rabbit psoroptosis infection appears in the autumn-winter period. The infected animal immediately feels discomfort, begins to shake its head, ears restlessly. The more the disease progresses, the more often the pets begin to scratch their ears, lose their appetite. When running a form with complications, the rabbit loses weight. His life is in danger.
The external indicators of the disease are the resulting crusts that cover the ear plane inside (the stage of the disease is already running). There you can find the bites themselves. The ears are blushing.
First call to the fact that the animal has a tick, reddish cones or bubbles in the shells, which soon burst, melt. From there flows a nasty liquid and then dries up. In place of the bubbles, a crust then appears.
The detection of ear disease in rabbits and their treatment can, in addition, be carried out using laboratory analysis, after which it is already necessary to proceed specifically to treatment. It’s done using scrapings for the presence of ticks and eggs. You can do the scraping yourself. To achieve the desired result, you must have petroleum jelly, a tool for scraping and a large magnifying glass. Take the oil and heat it to 40 degrees, make a thorough scraping and put the contents into the oil. Then take a magnifying glass and take a closer look. you can see the parasites themselves, if they are in the skin. The result of tick activity will be itching and irritation, causing animal discomfort.
Consequences for animals
Unnoticed timely ear tick in animals, the treatment of which will begin late, may cause grave consequences for pet:
- the rabbit shakes its head;
- significant weight loss;
- refusal of mating and feeding offspring;
- brain tumor;
- death of an animal.
Conducting treatment at home
Treatment of the described scabies will need to be carried out by the method of scrupulous treatment of the inner walls of the shell and ear ducts, with the removal of ticks and dry scabs.
To carry out such manipulations, a mixture of several components in the same proportions is usually used:
- glycerin or vegetable oil.
When if an ear mite is found in rabbits, traditional healing is considered a fairly effective measure to get rid of it. Namely, camphor oil can help very well, which, using a syringe in the absence of a needle, will need to irrigate the inner plane of the ears. The best result will be achieved with very early processing. Once in the ears of the rabbits there are abundant scabs, the latter will need to be softened in advance with the consistency of iodine and glycerol (1/4) or hydrogen peroxide. The procedure should be done every 2 days.
In addition, when removing the ear tick in combination with traditional means, be sure to medication should be used. This is the drug "Acrodex", "Dicresil", "Psoroptol", "Tsiodrin" and "Dermatozole", which at a distance of 10-20 cm will need to process the auricles for 1-2 seconds. To strengthen the result, this manipulation should be repeated after half a month. With this option, the animal will be spared from such an unsafe and harmful parasite, such as an ear tick.
In rabbits, treatment can be done with drops of Dekt and injections Ivomek or Baymek. The effect of the substances "Ivermectin" and "Selamectin", intended for the treatment of dogs and cats and is well tolerated by rabbits, is effective. After one application, healing is observed in 80% of cases.
Any disease is easier to prevent than to cure. Because it is necessary as much as possible look more often at the auricles pets and clean them. It is recommended to do this twice a month. with all this, pregnant females will need to be treated 2 weeks before the offspring, including when there are no indicators of the ear tick. And when dealing with infected animals, you need to wash your hands well, so as not to infect healthy animals with a case.
For prophylaxis, it is recommended that twice a year the necessary disinfection of cells, food devices and working devices be performed. Acquired newcomers should be quarantined for several weeks, in the absence of contact with the main herd, to prevent the occurrence of such an unsafe parasite as a tick in rabbits.
Disease prevention almost always easier than healing. Incorrect care, raw, unclean cells are a fertile basis for infection. Rabbits carry diseases more severely than other types of farm animals. In the case of a severe infection, failure to implement preventive measures, untimely healing, all livestock can die.
Necessary preventive measures:
- Content in scrubbed dry cells. In buildings where rabbits live, there can be no drafts, dampness. Once the animals live in cages in the fresh air. take care of protection from the rain by awnings, and from the wind by different shields, a film with a frame, awnings. It is necessary to clean the cells 2 times a day.
- Eating clean, unspoiled feed. Real feeding is the key to strong immunity. Make it a rule to watch rabbit stocks often. pregnant females will certainly be examined 15 days before their baptism.
- When you find an ear mite in rabbits, immediately isolate the unhealthy animals away from the main herd. Acquired rabbits should be immediately treated and kept in a quarantine cage for 3 weeks. If practically no diseases have been identified during this period of time, you can transfer the animals to the main herd.
- A necessary measure is the disinfection of rooms, cells and tools 2 times a year: in spring and autumn. And if signs of the disease are noticed, disinfection is carried out immediately. Hot mixes of soda ash (much better than caustic) soda, quicklime (whitewashing) are used. From quicklime, you can prepare a solution for processing tools and cells. Lime is diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 1. After the quenching process, another 9 parts of water are added. The solution is used immediately. Precautions must be observed! When extinguishing, lime gives off a lot of heat. A good remedy is chlorine.
- When mating animals, do not take rabbits from other households. In the event that such a need has arisen. painstakingly examine the animal that has come to you about the indicators of psoroptosis in the ears. At the slightest suspicion, the rabbit must immediately be returned to the owner. The carriers of infection can also be their own pets. dogs, cats. Well, the owner himself will be able to bring infection by stroking an unhealthy animal.
- Wash your hands more often, inspect your own pets. Follow rabbit planting standards. Crowded content leads to hassles. Rabbits can inflict serious wounds on each other. The weakest are driven out of feeders and drinkers. Fit males from females just right. Identify pugnacious individuals and keep them separate.