Ear tick (psoroptosis) is an infectious disease that affects many species of animals, including rabbits. The causative agent is an oval yellowish tick that spreads very quickly. The transmission of infection occurs when the animals come into contact with each other, through the inventory, the clothes of the owner.
In rabbit ears, which are so long, there are many blood vessels, which is attractive for feeding parasites. The disease most often affects rabbits older than 4 months. But if I am a female patient with psoroptosis, then her offspring will be infected.
Big Bunny Ears. A Tidbit for Parasites
If the ear mite is not treated in rabbits, the consequences are very sad: weight decreases due to loss of appetite, males can refuse mating, and females from feeding rabbits. Spreading, ticks can affect the middle ear, causing purulent otitis media. In severe cases of the disease, tick-affected areas also appear on the body of the animal, descending even to the front paws. Then the brain and nervous system are affected. The disease ends in death.
Ear tick is transmitted to other types of farm animals. It is worth noting that this disease is not transmitted to humans.
The incubation period is 5 days. At the beginning of the disease, rabbits worry, shake their heads, try to scratch their ears from the inside with their hind legs. In the ears on the inner surface, red-brown dots from bites are visible. In a neglected form, continuous purulent-sulfur crusts from comb and tick bites are formed. The ears are hot to the touch, thickened, painful.
An ear tick in rabbits is an unpleasant disease
Treatment should be started as soon as the first symptoms are detected, preventing the mass spread of the disease.
Before treating, it is necessary to remove the crust (scabs).
Securely fix the rabbit. To make the procedure less painful for him, the scabs must first be softened with petroleum jelly or hydrogen peroxide.
Processing is done with gloves, crusts are collected in a separate container (there are many ticks in the scabs). The contents of the container are subsequently destroyed by burning or filled with chlorine.
Treatment with folk ointments is also effective. Ointments can be prepared by yourself:
- vegetable oil and turpentine (creolin). 2 to 1;
- vegetable oil and turpentine. 1 to 1;
- camphor oil.
We collect the prepared ointments into a syringe without a needle and carefully irrigate the ears of the sick animal. If necessary, repeat the irrigation after a few days.
Start scabies treatment as early as possible
Today in veterinary pharmacies there are many effective drugs to get rid of psoroptosis. Treating rabbits with drops intended for cats and dogs gives a good result. Amitrazine (drops). convenient packaging, inexpensive. It can be treated with ivermectin (injection), selamectin (drops). Each drug is accompanied by detailed dosage instructions.
Aerosols allow you to quickly carry out treatment. In many cases, the result is achieved from the first application. Below is a list of aerosols:
Instructions for all veterinary drugs are written on the annotations and on the drug itself.
Treatment with Butox-50. In one package 5 ampoules. We dilute one ampoule per liter of warm water and pour the resulting solution into a sprayer for flowers. It is convenient to treat with a sprayer. Inject 2-3 times in one ear. The procedure is repeated after 4-5 days, since the drug acts only on adult ticks and does not kill eggs.
If the solution has cooled, warm it to body temperature. Ear. the organ is very sensitive, and additional otitis media is not needed at all.
Bunny ears are very tender, cold medicine can trigger otitis media
Prevention of the disease is always easier than treatment. Improper care, raw, dirty cells. fertile ground for infection. Rabbits carry diseases more severely than other types of farm animals. In the case of a serious infection, failure to comply with preventive measures, untimely treatment, the entire population may die. Prevention measures:
- Content in clean, dry cells. In the premises where there are rabbits, there should be no drafts, dampness. If animals live in cages on the street. take care of protection from rain by awnings, and from the wind by various shields, a film with a frame, awnings. It is necessary to clean the cells 2 times a day.
- Feeding with clean, unspoiled feed. Good nutrition is the key to strong immunity.
- Make it a rule to regularly inspect rabbit livestock. pregnant females must be inspected 14 days before the birthing. If an ear mite is found in rabbits, immediately isolate the sick animals away from the main herd. Acquired rabbits are kept in quarantine for 3 weeks. If no diseases are detected during this time, you can transfer the animals to the main herd.
- A necessary measure is the disinfection of rooms, cages and equipment 2 times a year: in spring and autumn. And if symptoms of the disease are detected, disinfection is carried out immediately. Hot solutions of soda ash (preferably caustic) soda, quicklime (whitewashing rooms) are used. From quicklime, you can prepare a solution for processing inventory and cells. Lime is diluted with water in a proportion of one to one. After the quenching process, another 9 parts of water are added. The solution is used immediately. Precautions must be observed! When extinguishing, lime gives off a lot of heat. A good remedy is chlorine.
- When mating animals, you should not take rabbits from other households. If such a need arose, carefully examine the animal received for signs of psoroptosis in the ears. At the slightest suspicion, the rabbit should immediately be returned to the owner.
- The carriers of infection can be their pets. dogs, cats. Yes, and the owner himself can bring infection by stroking a sick animal. Wash your hands often, inspect your pets.
- Follow rabbit planting standards. Crowded content leads to fights. Rabbits can cause serious wounds to each other. The weaker are driven back from feeders and drinkers. Separate males from females in time. Identify pugnacious individuals and keep them separate.
Simple in care, prolific. many liked rabbits. Even children and elderly people can look after them.
The right approach, in compliance with all norms of maintenance and feeding, will allow you to have delicious dietary meat on your table all year round.