The appearance of fleas in a pet should always alert its owner. These small blood-sucking insects are the cause of serious diagnoses for their owners. Small blood-sucking insects, fleas, are ready to bring a lot of trouble and trouble to the animals they attack. They can attack any mammal that has hair. Including there may be fleas in the rabbit, which gives the charming animal a lot of trouble. These parasites are fraught with danger to humans. Their bites are often painful and can provoke serious allergic reactions.
Fleas are actually ubiquitous. To date, scientists have described nearly 2100 species of these unpleasant insects. Including 2 species known as fossils and existed several million years ago. "Breadcrumbs", whose body size rarely exceeds 1-5 millimeters, can cause serious trouble to those they attack.
It’s quite simple to rid your pet of fleas, and numerous preventive measures allow you to never know that fleas exist and can be troublesome
Features of the body structure of fleas
Over millions of years of evolution, nature itself has turned this tiny insect into a real "war machine".
Quickly and successfully extract blood provide an opportunity for structural features of the body:
- The narrow body of this insect is laterally compressed and provided with bristles that help to strengthen in a dense fur coat
- The crests located on the chest and head also contribute to fixing.
- The abdomen can grow hypertrophically, holding up to 10 milliliters of blood
- The oral apparatus of the flea is a piercing-sucking type
- The mandibles created for biting are completely lost and replaced with a proboscis, with which it is easier to suck blood
- Evolution deprived the flea of its wings, they simply disappeared as unnecessary, but endowed them with strong and powerful forelimbs, allowing them to jump to a considerable height of up to 1 meter
- The presence of a second and often third pair of legs, which is used specifically to perform a push
- Only fleas have a special organ, an abdominal sensillium, designed to capture air vibrations to determine the proximity of a potential victim
- To lay eggs, a flea does not need to create a nest, the female simply throws a stream of fertilized eggs, developing in the future on their own
What fleas do rabbits have?
Species of this small insect do not distinguish their victims and do not share their belonging to different classes of mammals. Fleas are ready to hit both decorative rabbits and animals bred for meat or skins. This unpleasant parasite is dangerous for the animal with the inconvenience that it causes him. A rabbit affected by fleas often loses weight and looks tired and sick.
The easiest way to remove fleas in a rabbit is to use antiparasitic drops for preventive purposes
How to determine if a rabbit has fleas
If an animal has had fleas at least once, its owners perfectly remember how they look. If blood-sucking parasites move along the skin, then the animal begins to behave excessively actively in the cage, constantly itching. You can check for the presence of these insects yourself. They are best seen on the withers and on the back, often showing themselves as small black dots.
If there are simply small particles of black color in the rabbit’s cage, this can also often indicate that it is affected by these arthropods.
You can also pay attention:
- On flea eggs that are clearly visible in wool
- A scattering of small red dots usually becomes the basis for the assumption that this area of the skin is affected by bites
- A scattering of black grains, which is the excrement of fleas, clearly visible at the place where the rabbit just sat or lay
If an animal has had fleas at least once, its owners perfectly remember how they look. If blood-sucking parasites move along the skin, then the animal begins to behave excessively actively in the cage, constantly itching
In addition, an eared pet must be examined for ticks.
Fleas in pets (video)
The danger of fleas to humans
In most cases, people do not respond to flea bites. Most often, small children, elderly people, as well as allergic persons suffer from them. Often, reactions in people are the reason to pay attention to a pet that does not always actively respond to the insect population that has settled in its coat. For guinea pig lovers, this article will be helpful.
Tiny blood-sucking insects, fleas, are ready to bring a lot of trouble and trouble to the animals they attack
These insects are dangerous for humans to become pathogens of such diseases and carriers of bacteria such as:
- E. coli
- Plague wand
- Hepatitis B and C
- Typhus and others
How can a rabbit get fleas?
Fleas are actually ubiquitous. Today, scientists have described nearly 2100 species of these unpleasant insects.
All these funds are recommended for use in cases where infection has been noticed.
For decorative pets, special ointments and shampoos have been developed that help you quickly forget about an unpleasant problem.
The appearance of fleas in a pet should always alert its owner. These small blood-sucking insects are the cause of serious diagnoses of their owners. It is quite simple to rid your pet of fleas, and numerous preventive measures allow you to never know that fleas exist at all and can be troublesome. You can learn about folk methods for fighting fleas in dogs from this article.