A tick is an arthropod creature belonging to the largest group in the class of arachnids. Today there are approximately 54,000 species. Some of them are parasitic creatures on cats, dogs, rabbits and other animals. They feed on dead skin particles.
In our article we will talk about skin parasites of rabbits. The vital products of ticks are very harmful to the health of the eared, therefore, it is necessary to diagnose the disease in time and take measures to eliminate it, so that the animal’s life is not in danger.
Pathogen, routes of infection and symptoms
There are three main types of ticks that most often bother rabbits:
Pathogen Cheyletiella spp.. a small oval-shaped tick. The size of an adult is about 0.385 mm in length. The oral part of the body is clearly separated from the rest of the body and has large tentacles on the sides. The front pair of limbs is significantly removed from the back. Dorsal shields yellowish white. The parasite lives on the skin and feeds on blood, secretions from sweat and sebaceous glands.
- from a sick animal to healthy in contact, especially with crowded content;
- from the grass with which the sick animal was in contact;
- from the litter on which the sick eared was sitting;
- flies, fleas, lice are able to carry the pathogen;
- from the owner if hygiene standards have not been observed.
- redness and tightening of the skin at the bite;
- rolling fur into lumps;
- the appearance of white dandruff;
- hair loss (with severe damage).
Pathogen Sarcoptes scabiei (scabies itch). an intradermal parasite of white or yellow-white color. The male is no more than 0.23 mm long, and the female is 0.45 mm. They have a wide oval body in a fold, not divided into segments. Suction cups on the legs, the rest with bristles. No eyes. With the help of a gnawing-sucking mouth apparatus, passages are made in the skin and live there. They feed on blood.
- from a sick rabbit (during mating, with crowded contents, from mother to children when feeding);
- through objects contacted by sick agricultural or wild animals;
- from a person (transfers on clothes, eared care items).
- itching (eared combs disturbing places);
- hair loss in places of calculation;
- dry skin or with purulent crust;
- loss of appetite.
Most often, the parasite attacks the rabbit’s face (nose, ears, eyes). It is these places that the animal begins to comb.
Pathogen Psoroptes cun.. an oval tick 0.5-0.9 mm long. Has a yellow or dark yellow color. An adult is endowed with four pairs of legs. Lay eggs on the surface of the skin of the rabbit’s ear, fixing the laying with a uterine secret. Females are able to live outside their host for about 24 days. They die at low temperatures, and instant death occurs in water at temperatures of 80–100 ° С.
- with direct contact of a sick individual with a healthy one;
- through the litter;
- through eared care items;
- from the owner (with clothes);
- from mother to rabbits.
- combing the ear;
- there is a crust in the auricle;
- ears are covered with gray crust;
- brown sulfur lumps accumulate in the auricles.
Most often, the disease progresses in winter and spring, when the body of rabbits is weakened.
Video: A simple way to treat an ear tick in a rabbit
An ear mite can be seen under a magnifying glass. To conduct an inspection of the animal, it is necessary to arm yourself with a magnifying glass, petroleum jelly, a tool with which you can make scraping, a glass. After taking the scraping from the affected area, put it on a glass on which Vaseline preheated to 40 ° C was previously applied. Examine the sample under a magnifying glass. If you see a lot of small yellow insects, then your pet was attacked by a tick.
In laboratory conditions, the specialist also takes a scraping from the auricle of a rabbit and studies it with modern equipment. Further, a cytological examination, examination of the middle ear with an otoscope, x-ray or CT can be performed.
Scabies mites produce characteristic symptoms and the presence of small tubercles on the skin, which eventually transform into vesicles. When they burst, an aqueous liquid is released. Drying, it turns into a crust or scabs.
In the clinic, a veterinarian will make a scraping of the damaged area of the skin and examine it under a microscope, having previously treated it with an aqueous solution of potassium or sodium. If an eared mite was struck by an eared, then under the increase the parasite itself and its eggs will be visible.
A fur mite can be found on a rabbit fur coat upon inspection. It can be seen with the naked eye on the fur of any color.
How to treat and how to treat a rabbit from a tick
Treatment should be started only if you are sure that your pet was hit by a tick, and not another disease, and after the type of parasite has been established. But you can not hesitate, since the parasite is a danger to the life of the animal.
Itch mite is treated with acaricidal ointments: sulfuric, sulfur-tar, ointment Yam, birch tar, sulfur powder. If the affected area is extensive, then it is necessary to bathe the patient in a warm solution (39 ° C) of one percent chlorophos. The solution is not washed off, and the animal must be dried after bathing so that it does not lick the coat. It is advisable to wear conical collar. You can do without swimming. In this case, the rabbit is sprayed with a two percent solution of chlorophos or a 0.1% butox solution, alternating with a 0.3% ASD-3 emulsion.
From the ear tick, the following drugs are used:
- Ivermectin is an injectable drug that is administered once under the skin at a dosage of 0.2 g per 1 kg of animal weight.
- The stronghold is applied to the withers once in a dosage of 6 mg of selamectin per 1 kg of weight, which is similar to 0.1 ml / kg of a 6% solution and 0.05 ml / kg for 12%.
- Butox-50. One ampoule of the drug is diluted in a liter of water. The ears of the animal are sprayed with this solution. Repeated therapy is carried out after 10 days.
If parasites have caused purulent skin lesions, then antibiotics must be used. During this treatment, it is necessary to saturate the diet of a sick pet with vitamins B and E.
If there are foci of severe inflammation and itching, then help: relieve irritation: ryan, ribotan, aspirin.
An ear mite is treated with camphor oil and turpentine. Oil is drawn into a syringe and injected into the auricle. The excess is blotted with a napkin. In the same way, treatment is also carried out with turpentine, but it must first be diluted with vegetable oil (2 parts of oil and 1 part of turpentine). If necessary, the procedure is repeated after 2-3 weeks.
At the initial stage, a solution of iodine, alcohol and vegetable oil is applicable. The components are mixed in equal proportions. Ears are instilled with this solution. Scabs and crusts formed on the skin are softened with warm lean oil and a mixture of glycerin with iodine (4: 1). Lubricate the wounds daily.
- Inspect animals regularly (at least 2-3 times a year).
- Disinfect the instrument and cells with antiparasitic agents at least twice a year.
- After purchasing the animal, quarantine it, isolating it from the rest.
- Having noticed the signs of the disease in one individual, urgently isolate it from the rest.
- Isolate rabbits from potential tick carriers (stray cats, dogs, rats).
- If the female should bring offspring the other day, examine her for parasites.
- Only handle the sick rabbit with gloves.
Is it possible to eat meat from an infected rabbit
If the treatment of the rabbit for ticks was successful and quarantine was sustained, then its meat is suitable for consumption. Otherwise, eating contaminated meat is undesirable.
It is necessary to identify a tick in a pet as early as possible. After all, the parasite not only gives a lot of inconvenience to the eared, but also harms his health. A neglected disease can lead to irreparable consequences, even death.