Lice-eaters are small external parasites in rabbits, which are very similar in appearance to lice, but unlike them, lice-eaters do not suck blood, but feed on hair, scales of the stratum corneum of the skin and scabs that occur in places of combing.
The most common reason for going to the veterinarian is the health problem of rabbits, which is caused by ectoparasites. Almost all rodents suffer from parasitic diseases. Several types of parasites can live on the skin of rabbits. The most common among them are whipworms. This is due to the transfer of moisture through the litter.
Lice-eaters are small external parasites in rabbits, which are very similar in appearance to lice. Unlike lice, the rabbit’s water-eaters do not suck blood, but feed on hair, scales of the stratum corneum of the skin and scabs that occur in places of combing. Lice eaters in rabbits are excessively motile insects, especially in the early stages of development. They have a flat body, a free prothorax and a triangular head. Lice-eaters in rabbits have gnawing mouth organs that are shifted to the lower surface of the head. Their integument is very dense, dark or yellowish. About 200 species of beetles are known, among which 60 species are parasitic on mammals. It is important to note that human beings will never parasitize.
Lice-eaters are rabbit parasites that develop as incomplete transformation on the host’s body. Female rabbit eaters in rabbits throughout their life lay 50-70 eggs (nits), which are glued to the hair of animals. After three larvae, the larvae, leaving the eggs, turn into an adult wingless insect (imago). The entire cycle of development of the lapworm lasts 3-4 weeks. The body length of the beetles is 1-2 mm (maximum 10 mm). Their body is well adapted to the parasitic lifestyle (flattened and pale yellow).
Lice beetles harm the homestead quite strongly. Since rabbit-eaters feed on epidermal cells and secretions of the sebaceous glands, they give the animals severe itching, provoke hair loss, scratching and hyperkeratosis of the skin. A characteristic sign of the defeat of rabbits by whipworms is the appearance of microscrushes without focal baldness (allopecia). The diseases that are caused by the lice beetles are called trichodectoses. Lice-eating rabbits cause a lot of concern, although they do not cause significant damage to health. It is very important not to start this disease. With the advanced form of parasitic lesions, dermatitis and allergic reactions are observed, which are treated much more difficult. If you show a sick rabbit in a timely manner to a veterinarian and do all the necessary tests to determine the type of ectoparasite, then most often it turns out to be enough just to carry out several treatments with the prescribed drug to completely cure the animal.
Drugs for rabbit lice in rabbits Ektosan powder (60g), Aversectin ointment (30 g), Insectozol Spray (75 ml)