Myxomatosis. an acute viral disease that affects mammals from the order of the lagomorphs, gray-purulent conjunctivitis begins to develop and tumors form in the head, external genitalia and anus.
In the body of a sick rabbit the virus is localized in the subcutaneous tissue, skin, parenchymal organs and blood. When ingested, in sick animals it is excreted from the eyes and nose. The carriers of the virus are bedbugs, rabbit fleas and mosquitoes. The epidemic of the disease occurs in the spring and summer, when there is a mass reproduction of insect vectors. In the body of blood-sucking insects, the virus persists for up to six months.
And also infection occurs by airborne droplets when a healthy animal has close contact with the patient. Rabbits that survived the illness are carriers of the virus for a long time. Rabbit breeders from this disease get very big damage.
Myxomatosis in rabbits
Incubation period usually lasts six days, symptoms become apparent after 11 days. In the early stages of the disease, the signs are almost invisible, but if you look closely, the individual will notice red marks on the skin.
Then the body temperature begins to rise to 41 ° and she herself drops to normal. After that, the course of the disease turns into conjunctivitis: the eyes begin to watery in animals, the mucous membranes become inflamed and clots of pus form. The ailment can be manifested by the appearance of tumors: first there will be inconspicuous small tubercles, gradually increasing in volume. The size of the formations in rabbits manifests itself in different ways. from the seed of millet to the pigeon egg.
On the head of the animal edema can be located in different zones: eyelids, nose, ears. Even edema appears on the genitals and less often on the anus. The rabbit’s scalp begins to swell, and the ears wither. Folds form on the head and it becomes like a lion’s. The animal has an inflamed oral cavity and it cannot fully breathe. Purulent mucus begins to come out of the oral cavity. Sometimes in an animal during breathing occur intense wheezing.
11 days Is the maximum period for the duration of symptoms. Over time, he becomes indifferent to everything: does not respond to sounds, touches and voices, refuses water and food. If the animal had weak immunity, it will die, and when the rabbit was quite healthy and with the right treatment, it will quickly recover and there will be no trace of a serious illness.
Symptoms of myxomatosis in rabbits
Myxomatosis is divided into two types:
- Edematous form. the disease develops dynamically and almost always ends in death, this form is not subject to treatment. At the initial stage, the mucous membranes of the eyes become inflamed, then conjunctivitis develops, crusts can form. Edema occurs in the nasal cavity, it becomes difficult for him to breathe, purulent clots flow out of the throat and wheezes break out. The whole body of the rabbit is covered with tumors, inside of which there is a liquid. The animal is very ill, his eyes are drooping, he has longing and pain, he does not touch water and food. The ears begin to sag and he has only ten days to live. As soon as you learn about the disease, take the rabbit away from the rest, and if he died, it is better to dispose of his remains.
- Nodular shape. for sick rabbits, it is less dangerous. According to statistics, after nodular myxomatosis, half of the rabbits remain alive. This form is highly treatable. During the disease, nodules appear alternately on the rabbit’s head in different places. They disappear, and then reappear. They are mainly located around the ears and around the eyes. Conjunctivitis develops and pus is released from the eyes, the eyelids are closed in the animal and he cannot open them, after which he does not see anything for a while. He has a runny nose and is breathing with anguish.
Against the background of myxomatosis, other diseases, for example, stomatitis, can occur. Then the disease will go much harder.
Myxomatosis rabbit disease, why are they infected?
Rabbits can easily get sick with myxomatosis, they are infected by insect vectors, lice and fleas that live on the hair of an animal.
Wild rabbits can be infected from the claws of birds of prey, there are rare cases when the disease is transmitted sexually. Some species of mice and rats are susceptible to this disease; it does not apply to humans.
Treatment of myxomatosis in rabbits
Can a pet be treated for myxomatosis? So that the sick animal does not die from the disease, it must be treated in time.
Treatment must be carried out to the end so that there is no re-illness. The disease is activated in a short time and can kill an animal in a few days. Is it possible cure the rabbit completely? To do this, you must follow a few rules:
- the animal must be kept in warm and comfortable conditions;
- when you notice the first symptoms of myxomatosis in rabbits, immediately contact your veterinarian;
- if the pet refuses food, the veterinarian will prescribe special medications that will deliver nutrients to the animal’s body.
In the initial stage of the disease, the rabbit is treated, giving immunomodulators and strong antibiotics. The wounds that are on the skin are lubricated with an iodine alcohol solution. If the animal has recovered, it is kept in quarantine for three months so that there are no relapses and the rabbit can rehabilitate itself.
As soon as you notice the first symptoms of myxomatosis, consult your veterinarian. If the veterinarian discovers during the examination of the rabbit a not very serious disease, he will take it under control and will inject it subcutaneously until his final recovery. There are many cases when experienced veterinarians did not undertake treatment of an infected animal, this would not produce results.
A sick rabbit should be given Baytril during the week at the rate of 1 ml per 10 kg of live weight, it should be drunk twice a day. The nasal cavity is instilled with drops.
Treatment of myxomatosis in rabbits at home with folk remedies
Myxomatosis is very difficult to cure, but still, many resort to treatment with folk remedies and take care of pets at home. What do I need to do?
- Keep your animal warm.
- Make sure the rabbit drinks water and eats.
- If the animal has no appetite, feed it with a syringe.
- Prepare him a mixture: food with a lot of fiber with the addition of pumpkin pulp and diluted pineapple juice. Mix the mixture well to make it mashed.
- To make the rabbit easier to breathe, do aromatherapy, use aromatic oils: eucalyptus and tea tree.
Begin treatment at an early stage of the disease:
Recipe 1. Blot the affected area with pan-fried sunflower oil. Oil must be used fresh and unrefined.
Recipe 2. Fill the jar with camel spines and pour boiled water. Close the lid tightly and leave to infuse for two hours. Then strain the solution and begin to inject into the inside of the rabbit’s lower leg. 2 mg is administered to rabbits and 5 mg to adult rabbits.
Recipe 3. Fill the bottle with urine and place it in a place where direct sunlight does not fall. Moisten a cotton pad and wipe the pet’s face. Urine promotes rapid healing of wounds, and its smell can scare away bloodsucking insects.
It is not always possible to get a positive result from it. Cause:
- the owner of the animals does not support their immunity;
- late prophylactic vaccination (injection was given when the rabbit became ill).
If you decide to start breeding fur animals, then properly care for them, take preventive measures in time, then the rabbit will be able to avoid the disease or transfer it easier. Rabbits begin to be vaccinated at a young age, the medicine should be purchased in veterinary pharmacies, where it is stored subject to all the rules and regulations. At home, the vaccine is stored only in the refrigerator, protected from light.
Do not use an open medicine or with an expired shelf life. Before the vaccine, the animal must first be prevented from coccidia and worms. Follow the instructions so as not to destroy and alleviate the suffering of the pet.
Vaccination should be carried out Every year, regardless of the breed of rabbit. Observe animal hygiene practices. Keep animal cages clean, wash thoroughly and avoid contamination. Water and feed them only clean water and fresh food, change sawdust more often. Treat rabbits from time to time to prevent ectoparasites. It is recommended that the rabbit receive a vaccine at the B-82 veterinarian, then the animal will not get myxomatosis for eight months. The medicine is administered to the animal twice, a course of prevention is carried out from one to one and a half months. You need to start the procedure in March.
Is it possible to eat meat of a rabbit sick with myxomatosis
Nobody can accurately answer this question. From a medical point of view: this product will not do any harm to the human body, people are not susceptible to this disease. If you decide to eat the meat of a sick animal, you will have to slaughter it, and not wait until it dies. Meat is needed rinse well and then fry. You can’t eat the meat of rabbits who died from myxomatosis and lain for several days.
There are other opinions: after eating the meat of a sick animal, a person will recover or catch an infection. People with this opinion burn the bodies of dead rabbits, completely disinfect the room and the entire area adjacent to it.
Compromise option: not everyone dares to eat the meat of a sick animal. The sight of a sick animal does not inspire confidence, his body is covered with tumors and his eyes are swollen. Many people experience a sense of disgust and after such a picture this meat is simply unpleasant for them.
The conclusion suggests itself: You can eat fried meat of a rabbit with a myxomatosis of the rabbit, this will not make the person infected. But a sense of disgust and an aversion to the appearance of a tormented animal can prevent even trying it.