Breeding rabbits is not only very profitable, but also enjoyable. These cute pussies bring a lot of joy to children and adults. Rabbits, just like children, are also defenseless and dear.
But often rabbit breeding is overshadowed by diseases, which are usually very frequent and cause fatal harm to them. Pets have a lot of diseases, among them respiratory diseases, and tumors, and chronic. But one of the most dangerous diseases in rabbits is myxomatosis.
General about the disease
Myxomatosis in rabbits is a terrible disease.
Myxomatosis is a viral disease. This disease originated in America, with the spread of pets around the globe, and with them spread. At first it belonged to smallpox diseases, but over time it began to mutate, the strains of the disease began to change and it took the shape of different viruses.
As a rule, those infected with this disease die in most cases. Myxomatosis can be infected at any age, but there is a tendency that sick rabbits under the age of 2 months more easily tolerate this disease, their body is able to cope with it with proper treatment, nutrition and care.
What can not be said about adults, as mentioned above, infection for them, in most cases, portends death.
How is transmitted
No need to say that they look bad and even scare
The main carriers are bloodsucking insects. This can be any type of bloodsucker. flies, mosquitoes, mosquitoes, fleas, midges and others. Typically, these insects are not infected with this virus, but simply carry it on their paws, thereby becoming direct carriers, without causing harm to themselves.
Sitting on a pet, an infected insect transfers the disease to the animal. Often carriers are birds, they are able to carry this virus on their claws. And although contact between a bird and a rabbit is unlikely, it is impossible to exclude such a possibility of infection. Infected people share the virus with their brethren. In the wild, they can also be carriers of this disease.
Signs of the disease
The fluffy themselves can’t do anything about it.
The incubation period of the virus is different, as a rule, it lasts from 5 to 14 days, but it depends on the type of strain. The signs of the disease are as follows:
- Visible problems with the eyes. first, ordinary conjunctivitis begins, after a while plentiful “milk” discharge begins from the eyes, then the eyes swell and inflammation begins.
- Inhibition on the move.
- A sharp increase in body temperature to 42 or more degrees.
- Strong hair loss.
- Swelling of the nose, eyelids, ears and lips.
- Inflammation and swelling of the genital organs.
- In severe cases, the ears go down, and he can’t lift them on his own.
- Falling into a coma.
- The appearance of fibrotic nodes on the forelegs, ears and nose.
Also, there are often cases when a rabbit with myxomatosis immediately begins to get pneumonia. Pneumonia can cause death earlier than myxomatosis. Therefore, in order to exclude this result of the described events, the animal must pierce the course of antibiotics.
How to prevent myxomatosis, and is it worth it
Myxomatosis must be treated!
Statistics prove that the disease proceeds so quickly that it becomes impossible to treat it. The same is claimed by veterinarians. The first thing to do so that the animal does not become infected with a dangerous virus is to prevent the disease. Second, constantly monitor so that the virus does not appear in the rabbit family. Third, when one is infected, it should immediately be separated from the rest, in order to avoid spread.
Prevention is that when the period of the appearance of bloodsuckers comes, the animals should be carefully protected from them. The highest activity of blood-sucking insects is observed in May and June, at this time a special room should be equipped for rabbits, excluding contact with possible carriers.
Red sick pet
Also, when buying new ones, first they need to be placed in a quarantine room, isolated from other animals. The same applies to infected people. a separate room should be provided for them, away from other animals.
If you decide to treat a patient with myxomatosis, then you must urgently consult a veterinarian. He will prescribe a special treatment in this case, based on the intake and injection of medications.
- With a course of treatment, you need to create constant warm living conditions. It has been proven that viruses inhibit their spread at room temperature at 20 degrees. These thermal conditions need to be provided to the sick rabbit.
- Particular attention should be paid to animal nutrition. Very often, patients refuse to feed, in this case, it is required to maintain the vitality of the body with special medications and injections.
- With eye diseases, mucus is always secreted. During treatment, it is required to regularly wipe the animal’s eyes with a clean cotton swab dipped in a strong tea brew. You can consult with your veterinarian about additional means to care for the sick eyes of an animal.