Rabbits, like any other animal, are susceptible to various kinds of diseases, many of which are quite dangerous. Some rabbit diseases are viral in nature, and animals are also prone to eye and ear ailments. Improper nutrition leads to the development of diseases of the teeth, paws, kidneys and other internal organs. Rabbit breeders should be able to recognize the signs of certain types of diseases in order to prevent the development of infections and maintain a healthy population.. Inspection of animals is necessary regularly. It is also important to feed them correctly, this also contributes to the growth of healthy offspring.
Rabbits are susceptible to a variety of diseases.
How to prevent the disease?
Rabbit disease is an unpleasant thing with unknown consequences, so you need to try to prevent it. To do this, just follow some simple rules:
- Newly acquired rabbits must be settled separately from the rest for three weeks. If during this time no sick individuals have been identified, then they can be combined with others.
- General cleaning of the room and cells, as well as their disinfection, should be done regularly. Additionally, cleaning is carried out before waiting for the offspring, as well as before moving the animals from one cage to another.
- All equipment, including drinking bowls and feeders, must be disinfected every 10 days. Routine cleaning of feeders and drinking bowls is done daily.
- In the event of an infectious disease, it is imperative to disinfect not only the cells, but the entire room.
- Since the disinfectant affects different pathogens in different ways, it is necessary to use different agents depending on the disease.
- It is impossible to process metal parts with alkaline and acid means, since they corrode the metal, as a result of which corrosion appears. Also, cement floors should not be treated with acids. The processing of the metal elements of the cells is either fired using a blowtorch or doused with steep boiling water.
- Before mating animals, they should be carefully inspected. The same should be done before waiting for the offspring and after its appearance. Rabbits are examined constantly, then every 10 days. The rabbit is subject to constant visual inspection, especially during pregnancy and lactation.
- If an individual becomes ill, it is necessary to call a veterinarian. If diseases such as ringworm, contagious runny nose, mastitis and other infectious infections are detected, then it should immediately be sent for slaughter.
- In the room with animals, rodents should be completely absent, as they are carriers of various infections.
- Where pets are kept, clean air should remain, but there should be no drafts.
- It is important to feed the eared livestock properly.
A healthy animal has a cheerful look and excellent appetite, the hair has a shiny appearance, rabbits are mobile, nose and eyes are clean, breathing is moderate, body temperature ranges from 38.5 to 39.5 degrees, the pulse of a healthy pet is 120-160 beats.
A healthy rabbit has a clean skin and good appetite
Quite often, eared pets suffer from gastrointestinal ailments. Often, rabbits lack the norm of breast milk, which is why they begin to gnaw coarse food, which scratches their delicate gastrointestinal tract. Due to the resulting wounds, animals begin to suffer from inflammatory diseases of the stomach. Adults also suffer the same diseases if they begin to feed them with poor-quality food or keep in the mud.
During the period of the disease, the following symptoms begin to appear: liquid feces with mucus or complete absence of bowel movements, bloating. After constipation, a sharp breakdown can occur. The animal’s appetite disappears, the condition becomes depressed. If bloating is observed, then the pet dies after 2-3 days.
Treatment of disorders in rabbits
When a pet has symptoms of a non-contagious type of disease, the first thing to do is to keep him hungry for about 12-20 hours. After this time, they begin to gradually feed him with soft types of feed or a mixture of mixed feed with potatoes in a steamed form. This is especially true for rabbits, as their stomachs are very tender.
The sick rabbit needs to be put off and held on a diet
As a treatment during constipation, the following procedures are used:
- 1 tsp castor oil;
- rubbing the abdomen with saline (½ cup 1 teaspoon of edible salt);
- an enema based on a soapy warm solution;
- daily runs.
After relaxation, the animal should be fed red carrots and oat broth for several days.
When rabbit disease is accompanied by bloating, the following treatment measures are used:
During diarrhea, an animal is prescribed:
- 0.1 g synthomycin;
- decoction of oak bark. 1-2 tsp;
- carrots, and in the summer. soft fresh hay.
With proper treatment, diarrhea disappears in 2-3 days. Standards for rabbits are the same as for an adult.
It is important to feed the livestock properly. A healthy diet will save you from many problems.
Proper nutrition. disease prevention
Quite often in rabbits there are various wounds and fractures. Especially such situations arise when in one cell there are too many pets. If the bruises are small, then the swelling disappears after a couple of days. With the appearance of severe bruises, when the skin is broken, further actions of rabbit breeders can be different. If the wound is not deep, then it is enough to lubricate it daily with iodine, if it is deep, then the treatment is usually useless and the rabbit needs to be killed. If this is a rabbit of a valuable breed, then treatment can be carried out. Fractures among rabbits are not uncommon, animals can live with them for quite some time. If the spine is damaged, then the pet must immediately be killed.
When the room is poorly insulated, rabbits face frostbite on their ears. If this happens, then the animal must be transferred to heat, and swelling should be thoroughly rubbed with melted fat. In warm weather, pets are prone to heat stroke, in which the following symptoms appear:
- redness of the mucous membrane of the nose, eyelids and mouth;
- frequent breathing
- lies motionless, stretched out on his stomach.
If such signs appeared, then the animal must immediately be moved to the shade and make lotions with a cold rag, otherwise the rabbit may die. Treatment becomes useless when cramps occur. Drafts are fraught for pets with colds. The rabbit begins to sneeze, and a clear or cloudy discharge begins from the nose. The patient eared eared in a warmer room, begin to feed them well with healthy food and vitamins.
The meat of animals that have suffered non-communicable diseases can be used without fear for their health and in any quantity. These rabbit diseases do no harm.
Non-communicable diseases do not prevent the slaughter of rabbits for meat
Infectious diseases of rabbits arise due to parasites, which can be either cutaneous or start in the internal organs. Infectious diseases of rabbits are different, among them the following are most dangerous.
This is the most dangerous disease, ending in most cases with the death of a pet. There are two forms: nodular (tumors appear) and edematous (there is one continuous edema). Tumors occur on the legs and head and on the genitals. With edema in pets, the following symptoms appear: an ugly appearance, ears go down. After 5-10 days, the rabbit dies.
When a disease occurs, you must immediately notify the service of veterinarians.
Affected animals should be burned along with the skin. It is necessary to disinfect the place where sick pets were kept with a solution of sodium chloride, bleach or formalin, after which the manure is buried in the ground.
Infectious type of mastitis
Females are susceptible to diseases at the stage of feeding their cubs.
- the udder becomes red and hard;
- wounds and ulcers appear.
Mastitis in rabbits
To avoid illness, the rabbit must be kept clean and must be properly fed. To cure the animal, you need a specialist. If the disease is already running, then the rabbit goes to the slaughter.
The second name of this disease is pastereplez. This is a form of contagious runny nose. The disease mows not only adults, but also rabbits.
The following symptoms appear:
- purulent discharge from the nose;
- temperature up to 40 degrees;
- depressed state;
- scratches on the legs appear;
- diarrhea may appear.
Ill individuals are isolated, their places of residence are disinfected with bleach. Carcasses of rabbits are subject to immediate burning. As a treatment, a solution of furatsilin (4 drops in each nostril) or penicillin is used. If within 20 days the discharge from the nose does not return, then the animal is considered recovered.
Despite this, former patients remain carriers of the infection, so it is better to kill them within 3 weeks.
Infectious stomatitis or wet face
This disease is characteristic of rabbits, whose age is 20-90 days.
- redness of the mucous membrane of the lips, nose, tongue occurs, subsequently a white coating appears on them, later they become covered with ulcers;
- there is profuse salivation;
- wool begins to fall out.
In many cases, rabbits will die.
Timely treatment can save rabbits, for this, their mouth is treated with a solution of copper sulfate. There is a second way to treat rabbit disease: crush ½ tablets of streptocide and give the pet, after 8 hours, do the same with the second part of the tablet. If the disease is not started, then this norm is enough. When the form is launched, then both methods of treatment are applied at once. The cell is treated with formalin.
The disease is sexually transmitted. The infection enters the rabbit’s body with food.
Symptoms of rabbit disease:
- swelling occurs on their genitals, and after an ulcer;
- discharge begins;
- the sick rabbit brings weak offspring, and its fertility decreases.
Be sure to thoroughly examine the genitals of animals before mating. Sick pet goes to the face. Places of detention are subject to processing, it is necessary to do this with a solution of sodium.
The animal gets sick from a tick bite. Mostly a tick bites rabbits over the skin in the head area or on the inside of the ear.
- irritation of the skin;
- bubbles appear which, bursting, form scabs;
- appetite disappears, animals are exhausted and dies.
During treatment, the resulting crusts are lubricated with turpentine, after soaking they are removed and subsequently burned.
It is necessary to feed the sick individual separately from everyone. Meat can be eaten.
Scabies or ear mite
This disease of rabbits occurs when their conditions are unsanitary.
Symptoms of the disease: red dots at the site of the bite. The animal combes these places strongly. At this point, crusts appear. The appetite is lost, the animal is exhausted.
The animal must be isolated from the rest and rubbed with rubbed naphthalene and tobacco dust. This must be done against the coat. The cell is poured with boiling water.
Rabbit diseases are diverse, but despite this, they are completely treatable. It is better if the disease is able to prevent. The main thing is to keep the animals clean and properly fed, it must be done regularly, and not only at the time when signs of disease appear. Then the chances of their illness will significantly decrease.