Many rabbit breeders notice that their pets often die in the summer. It is important to find and eliminate the cause in time, until you have lost all the livestock. All causes can be divided into three large groups: non-compliance with the regime of detention, infectious and other diseases. We will deal with each of them in more detail.
If you have lost a small number of individuals, then the cause may be non-infectious diseases. We will deal with the main reasons why the mortality of rabbits in the summer begins:
Rabbits must be kept in spacious cages that are specifically designed for them. Prepare a place for keeping animals in advance, taking into account the fact that they breed very quickly. The cells should be spacious, with carefully sanded walls. Pay attention to nails and screws. they should not stick out. If you keep pets, especially young animals, in improperly prepared rooms, then death can lead to:
Animals die because they become more vulnerable during illness. Rabbits can get one of the above injuries during a fight, due to an unsuccessful jump or fall. The most dangerous fractures and bruises, as they lead to paralysis of the spine.
Another problem in the summer is heat. It is because of her that very often die both adult rabbits and young animals. The main reason why overheating occurs are also improperly built cells. They should not be in an open place, and ventilation must be done in them. If this is your first time encountering rabbit cage construction, consult experienced breeders and look at cage drawings on the Internet.
Overheating is one of the main reasons why animals often die in the summer. You can independently determine it by the following signs:
- rabbits become lethargic;
- they lie on their sides with their paws extended;
- breathing becomes quicker;
- they have mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth.
If you do not take action, the next stage of overheating will be convulsions. If you notice that the animals behave unusually, transfer them to the shade and try to water them.
The body of any animal responds to a lack of vitamins with serious diseases that can lead to death. The reason why rabbits lack vitamins can be antibiotic treatment without control and the lack of necessary foods in the diet. Most often, young rabbits experience:
- Vitamin A deficiency. Strong conjunctivitis usually becomes its symptom. Additionally, you will notice a delay in the growth and development of rabbits. If the feed is not enriched with this vitamin in time, a fatal outcome is possible.
- Rickets or vitamin D deficiency often causes bone bending in young animals. He has more outward signs. Among them, the following symptoms should be noted:
- joint thickening;
- low physical activity.
- Myodystrophy (lack of vitamin E) is terrible because newborn rabbits die from it, whose age can range from 3-10 days. However, you will not see the causes of death. At an older age, a lack of this vitamin threatens infertility. Symptoms of this disease: stiffness, loss of appetite and difficulty moving around the cell. Only 15% of individuals survived this type of vitamin deficiency.
Only a veterinarian can correctly diagnose a lack of vitamins and prescribe treatment. To prevent vitamin deficiency, it is necessary not to take away rabbits from their mother ahead of time, give fresh and varied feeds.
It would be a mistake to believe that for successful growth, animals need only give a little grass once a day. Rabbits should eat a wide variety of foods. However, to avoid digestive problems, you should not give animals the products from the following list:
- White cabbage;
- fresh bread (but sometimes it’s good to spoil rabbits with crackers);
- some herbs (digitalis, celandine, buttercup, euphorbia, lumbago, colchicum, narcissus, cicuta, hemlock and others related to poisonous);
- milk products;
Any product on this list can cause severe digestive upsets in the animal, which can lead to death. Some indoor plants and herbs act on the body of rabbits, like poison.
Infectious diseases can be another problem for farmers. If you often have rabbits dying, take more time to vaccinate and keep the cells clean. The following diseases can become fatal:
- Mycoplasmosis This virus causes redness and inflammation of the mucous membranes of the eyes, thirst and depression of the animal. At the last stage, small papules can be found on the head or trunk. The carriers of this disease are often mosquitoes or rodents. Inspect the rabbits thoroughly to detect the disease in time and begin treatment.
- Stomatitis most often affects young animals. Its symptom is excessive salivation and weakness. Despite their appetite, rabbits cannot absorb enough food, so they die within 5 days from exhaustion.
- Rhinitis can develop due to the common cold, which is most often found in winter or autumn. In summer, it is caused by smoke, dust or ammonia vapors. Its main symptom is that rabbits often touch their nose with their paws. If the disease is not detected in time, death can occur within 10 days.
- One of the most dangerous viruses is smallpox. It is easy to determine if you regularly inspect animals. At an early stage, papules appear on them, which later become pustules. Smallpox is also characterized by an increase in body temperature.
- Digestive disorders and injuries are terrible because pasteurellosis can develop during them. It is transmitted by bacteria from other rabbits, poultry or animals. In acute form, a disease can kill your pet in two days. In this case, the animal will be lethargic, and its temperature will rise to 41 degrees. The chronic form is accompanied by diarrhea and discharge of pus from the nose. In this case, death occurs within two weeks.
- Tularemia is easy to recognize by a significant increase in the lymph nodes, which subsequently turn into foci of pus. The disease can reach a fatal outcome in a period of 7 to 30 days.
So that you do not have a question why the number of rabbits is rapidly declining, do not forget about the timely vaccination of animals. If disturbing symptoms appear, contact your veterinarian immediately. To prevent bacteria from creating a favorable breeding ground, clean the cells regularly.