Many rabbit breeders face ear diseases. Inflammation, scabbing, pus, itching and burning when touched. all these are common symptoms of several diseases. How to determine, distinguish, prevent ear sores in rabbits and what treatment is needed will be discussed in detail in the proposed article.
Symptoms of Ear Disease
A feature of ear diseases in rabbits is a similar symptomatology that prevents the correct and accurate diagnosis. Ear diseases are determined by the following visual signs:
- Rabbits constantly scratch their paws, rub their ears on the bars of the cage and other items available;
- Animal behavior is nervous, restless with general weakness, loss of appetite;
- Reproductive function decreases, examples are described in the literature when, due to constant anxiety caused by a disease of the ears, the rabbits lose interest in mating;
- Ears of sick rabbits may fall, and the rabbit’s head leans unnaturally forward or to the side.
Rabbit Ear Disease
All of these signs are a signal for a closer examination of the ears of animals. Why does this happen and what to do? It will also be useful for beginner rabbit breeders to know the specific signs of each ear disease, especially since there are only three of them.
Psoroptosis is an infectious disease. Pathogen. Psoroptes cuniculi tick yellow or brown round or oval. A tick lives on the skin of the auricle, therefore, in the initial stages, with a quick visual examination of the ears, it is very difficult to detect.
One of the symptoms of the disease is on the skin of the inner surface of the ears. flakes and small abscesses appear. The abscesses burst, the released pus dries up, causing the skin to turn into scab, which causes severe pain to the rabbits.
Severe psoroptosis is detected visually. The rabbit’s ears swell in the affected areas, covered with scabs and ulcers, become hotter than the main body mass.
The size of the ticks is small, therefore, if desired, it can be seen through a magnifying glass. If a tick is found, there is no doubt that pet scabies is also a common name for psoroptosis.
For processing, an ordinary plastic syringe without a needle is used. The solution is applied to the crust., after a thorough massage, the crusts should be separated and removed from the auricle. The procedure will reduce the suffering of the pet by an order of magnitude.
Purulent otitis media
It is problematic to distinguish from purulent otitis media from psoroptosis in the initial stages, since the primary symptoms are identical. Otitis also refers to viral diseases, untimely detection and treatment of this disease leads to brain damage and death of the animal.
Feature of otitis media in the fact that at the initial stage it cannot be visually detected, since the infection spreads behind the eardrum, not accessible for external examination. With the development of the disease, one can observe discharge and pus that spreads through the auricle.
Progressive otitis media is also noticeable by disorders of the vestibular apparatus. The rabbit can stumble on the objects located, the head makes unnatural movements from side to side, as if swaying. The eyes of a sick rabbit make constant movements, rotating or moving strictly horizontally.
Frostbite of ears
The ears of rabbits are tender, so keeping them in cold rooms is fraught with frostbite on the limbs or ears. Symptoms of frostbite are easily noticeable:
- Ears are cold, swelling, pain when touched;
- The presence of blisters, which burst, forming purulent ulcers. a sign of severe frostbite. Subsequently, the skin dries up and exfoliates, forming open wounds.
Prevention and treatment of ear diseases in rabbits at home
Prevention of Ear Infectious Diseases, otitis media and psoroptosis should include the following measures:
- Inspection and Quarantine, rabbits taken on the side. In practice, tick infection most often occurs precisely from newly arrived rabbits. You can mix them with the main herd only after a month, making sure of their health;
- Immunity increase, the addition of vitamins to food, which is an effective prevention of otitis media;
- Creating warm and comfortable conditions with normal temperature for rabbits. The ideal temperature for a rabbit is a range of 19 to 25 degrees Celsius;
- Cleanliness, regular cleaning and disinfection.
These measures will reduce the likelihood of spreading ear diseases among your pets by an order of magnitude.
Rabbit ear treatment
If your pets have signs of ear disease, then treatment is carried out in the following order:
- Caught an infection the animal must be immediately seated separately;
- Necessary for sure determine which infection you are dealing with. For beginning rabbit breeders or if there is a doubt in the diagnosis, you should contact your veterinarian.
How to treat psoroptosis and purulent otitis media
Psoroptosis is treated with a combination of local and general medication.. First of all, the destruction of the tick itself is required, for which foam and aerosols are used: psoroptol, acrodex, acaromectin, dicresil, etc.
Local treatment, as a rule, is the same. Spray needs to spray the affected area for several seconds.. The procedure is repeated 2-3 times a day, the course of treatment is 5-7 days. After a week, it is advisable to repeat the course, which will fix the result.
For systemic treatment and eradication of infection bimec preparations or a one percent solution of ivomec are best suited. Drugs are administered under the skin, and a single dose is calculated based on the concentration of the drug and the weight of the animal.
Benefits of these drugs in that they actively destroy both the tick itself and the delayed larvae. Usually, relief in an animal occurs 2-3 days after the start of a course of treatment.
It is not recommended to treat purulent otitis media at home. Its causative agents can be several cultures of bacteria, which can be distinguished only after taking tests and a thorough examination of the head and ears of the rabbit.
The treatment procedure should be carried out quickly. high doses of antibiotics, for example, prednisolone or albendazole. Correctly appoint a dosage and a specific drug can only be a veterinarian.
Ear frostbite treatment, folk methods
With frostbite, a proven folk method is used. affected areas are greased with fat, goose or pork. The main requirement, fat should not contain salt. With severe frostbite, one percent camphor ointment helps to heal very well. Only dried places are smeared.
A good remedy for frostbite is healing aluminum spray. The drug is available in the form of an aerosol, which is applied to the affected area after the initial sanitary treatment (removal of wool released from wounds of fluid, dead skin).
Summing up, we note that the observance of simple preventive measures, as well as isolation of rabbits from strangers, animals, hygiene and timely disinfection. This is the best way to prevent the development of ear sores.