Sometimes farmers notice that the rabbits have a wet face. This is a symptom of infectious stomatitis. Most often, young rabbits are exposed to this malaise. Inattention of the owner and lack of treatment can be fatal. To protect the livestock from death and prevent the development of stomatitis, you should know the symptoms and methods of treating the disease.
Why does a rabbit have a wet face
The main reason that the rabbit has a wet face is considered a disease called stomatitis, or mokret. This is an inflammation of the oral mucosa, which can be noticed by the appearance of light or gray-red plaque. Even a recovering animal remains a carrier of the virus, threatening the well-being of its neighbors.
Most often, young rabbits up to 3 months old are susceptible to the disease, however, sexually mature pets are at risk. Stomatitis in rabbits can develop in animals of any age and breed. Outbreaks usually occur in spring and summer, but the likelihood of developing the disease in winter or autumn is not ruled out.
The virus that causes stomatitis is transmitted at the moment of contact of the animal’s mucosa with the infected medium and can be kept in a dormant state in the body. The initiation of the pathogen occurs only under the influence of environmental factors, among which are noted:
- unsanitary or inappropriate conditions of detention;
- overpopulation in cells;
- improperly organized nutrition;
- deficiency of vitamins in the body;
- mating of infected animals with healthy pets;
- weak animal immunity.
Sometimes the condition of the wet face can be of a bacterial, traumatic or non-viral origin. In addition, infectious stomatitis can develop against the background of other ailments. infection with worms or due to dental pathologies.
It is important to note that the wet muzzle of rabbits is not always a sign of stomatitis. In rare cases, excessive salivation may be a symptom of heat stroke or poisoning.
Forms of the disease
With infectious stomatitis, the rabbit’s body begins to secrete an abundant amount of saliva, which flows down the face and nose of the animal. However, a wet nose and a muzzle are not the primary sign of biting midges. The ailment begins with the appearance of plaque in the oral cavity, which causes intolerable itching. A sick animal, trying to get rid of unpleasant sensations, rubs the places of itching with paws, provoking the formation of ulcers. It becomes painful for the rabbit to chew and swallow, the hair on its face gets wet, the animal tries to take refuge in a quiet place.
As the disease progresses, the following symptoms are observed:
- apathy, lethargy;
- refusal of food;
- loose stools;
- light plaque on the mucous membranes;
- weight reduction;
- copious salivation;
- loss of fur.
Mokrets in rabbits is classified into several forms:
- Easy. Symptoms are almost absent. With timely taken therapeutic measures, the disease can be eliminated in 2 weeks, while the chances of healing are high.
- Heavy. It is accompanied by pronounced symptoms that cannot be overlooked. Death occurs on the 4th day after infection.
- Atypical. signs of a wet muzzle are mild or absent altogether. Healing occurs a week after the development of the disease.
How to treat bunnies in rabbits
Treatment can be carried out with the help of medicines or traditional medicine under the supervision of a veterinarian. At the same time, it is important that measures are taken immediately. the sooner therapy is started, the more chances there are to cure the wet face of the rabbit.
The sick animal must be isolated from healthy relatives and follow a diet.
Treatment of stomatitis in rabbits is carried out using the following means:
- Daily the animal’s mouth is treated weak potassium permanganate solution.
- Muzzle, tongue and the sky of a rabbit smear 2% blue vitriol, dissolved in pure water.
- Inside the oral cavity is irrigated Baytril’s solution in an amount of 0.5 ml. An analogue of the drug is the drug Enromag.
- For 3 days, dropping the mouth with syringes Sulfadimezin. Also use antibiotic Biomycin, applying according to the instructions.
- To eliminate unpleasant sensations, the oral cavity of pets is sprayed spray Lugol thrice a day.
- To successfully eliminate biting midges, antiseptics are used. they put the rabbit in the mouth Streptocide in the amount of 0.2 g. The course is three days.
- If the disease is severe, it will take penicillin. as an injection or orally. The exact dosage is prescribed by the veterinarian.
Together with medicines for the treatment of rabbits, immunomodulators and vitamin-mineral supplements should be used. A good remedy is considered Apidermine, which includes natural ingredients: honey, propolis, herbs. In addition, probiotics will help improve the condition of the animal. Lacopherone or Vetom, which normalize the intestinal microflora.
Rabbit feeding during treatment
With a wet muzzle, the rabbit experiences terrible pain due to ulcers, cannot chew and swallow. Therefore, in order not to aggravate but alleviate the condition of the pet, it is important to provide the animals with proper soft nutrition during the treatment period. Rabbits infected with biting midfields should be fed:
- boiled vegetables. beets, carrots, potatoes;
- liquid cereals;
- bran soaked in milk.
The main rule of the diet at the time of treatment of the wet face is a high-calorie and balanced soft food that will not cause pain when absorbed.
In addition, rabbits need to be provided with plenty of fresh drinking water in order to remove harmful substances from the body.
Treatment of stomatitis in rabbits may include alternative medicine methods. The following recipes are used for the treatment of biting midges:
- Decoctions of chamomile, calendula and oak bark. These plants have anti-inflammatory properties, so they are used to heal wounds in the mouth. A swab dipped in broth is used to lubricate the affected areas or irrigate the oral cavity with a syringe without a needle.
- Propolis ointment. The tool can be prepared independently or purchased at a pharmacy. Ointment will help in eliminating the infection.
- Potentilla infusion. For cooking 1 tbsp. 200 ml of boiled water is poured into a spoon of dried grass, cooled and filtered. Ready infusion solder sick animals.
Rehabilitation of sick rabbits
During the treatment, lice rabbits are planted in a separate room, however, after recovery, pets cannot be immediately returned to old cages. Quarantine the animals for another 2–3 weeks to ensure that the infection does not return. After recovery, the rabbits will have an untidy appearance. sticky wool, bald spots, low weight.
To restore the health of animals, you should carefully follow the diet recommended during treatment (cereals and chopped boiled vegetables), gradually add larger pieces of root vegetables. Then you can carefully introduce fresh greens and hay into the diet.
Pets can be returned to their old cages only after the appearance and health of the rabbits has completely returned to normal, and they can eat solid food without any problems. After recovery, the animal remains a carrier of the virus, therefore it is not recommended to tolerate rabbits who have suffered rabbits for mating.
To prevent the wet face of rabbits, regular preventive measures should be taken:
- disinfection, disinsection, deratization of the premises where animals live;
- vaccination according to the schedule of vaccinations;
- pet nutrition with vitamin supplements;
- in drinking rabbits add 1 teaspoon of iodine to 10 liters of water;
- Having been ill or suspicious, the animals are kept in quarantine for two weeks, the same applies to newly arrived rabbits.
A wet muzzle in rabbits is one of the main signs of stomatitis, which is accompanied by excessive salivation. If you notice a sticky coat and a wet muzzle, you should seek the advice of a veterinarian. In most cases, treatment initiated on time significantly increases the chances of a favorable outcome for sick pets.