Breeding rabbits is a responsible matter. These cute fluffy animals, unfortunately, often get sick. Bloating in rabbits is the most common disease. The disease develops rapidly and without proper treatment will result in the rabbits starting to die. To prevent bloating, as well as to properly treat sick “fur” wards, you first need to find out why rabbits have this ailment.
Bloating in rabbit breeding is also called tympanum (from the Greek "drum"), because the belly of the animal really becomes like this musical instrument. Also, the disease was dubbed flatulence and gastrointestinal stasis (FSW). In fact, these are the names of the same disease.
Bloating in rabbits occurs due to the characteristics of their digestive system. In the process of evolution, these fluffy animals for some reason did not acquire the smooth muscles of the stomach and the entire gastrointestinal tract. Food to the "exit" is moving forward under the influence of a new portion of food. At the slightest failure in the lumen of the intestine, stagnation of undigested food occurs. The belly of the rabbit begins to swell and causes him incredible suffering. If the animal is not treated, the outcome will be disastrous.
So why does food stagnate? After all, only knowing the cause, you can decide how to treat and prevent the disease.
- Stress. It turns out that the state of increased stress due to the reaction of the body to various adverse factors is characteristic not only of humans, but also of rabbits. The health of these sensitive animals can worsen with any change in their microcosm: fright, exit from the cage, new neighbors, change of food, bad weather.
- Poor quality food. Fermentation in the digestive tract can cause the presence of mold or fungus in the feed, a sharp transition from hay to fresh grass, prel on hay.
- The transition from milk to solid food. The little rabbit is most susceptible to insidious disease due to the immaturity of the digestive tract.
- Wool in the stomach. Together with food, rabbits can easily swallow wool if it is in excess in the cage. The lumen of the intestine is completely blocked, the animal swells and dies.
- "Passive lifestyle. Lack of movement leads to stagnation of food.
- Excess weight. Visceral fat compresses the intestines, reducing the lumen of the gastrointestinal tract and hampering the movement of food.
- Infection. The microflora of rabbits is sensitive and peculiar, therefore, it can not cope with the slightest infection.
- Parasites. As a result of their activity, worms emit gases that cause bloating.
There are many reasons for tympanum in rabbits. Therefore, you must be fully equipped when your pets meet this ailment.
Signs of the disease
The sooner you recognize the disease in your furry wards, the easier it will be to deal with it. Flatulence in rabbits is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- the animal refuses food and drink, clogs into a corner, lies without movement;
- the stomach begins to swell, the eyes bulge;
- prolonged constipation more than 10 hours;
- body temperature decreases. below 37 degrees;
- breathing quickens;
- the animal is grinding its teeth.
If you have such characteristic signs, you should contact your veterinarian. However, experienced rabbit farmers may well cope with the disease on their own. At the same time, it is important to monitor the well-being of the “Mechovichka” and, if the condition worsens, go to the veterinary clinic.
If you can’t seek professional help in the near future, you can try to save the rabbit from bloating on your own. It is important to start treatment as soon as possible. The deterioration of the state during tympanum occurs rapidly, which can lead to negative consequences. What to do if a rabbit has a swollen stomach?
- Children’s Espumisan. The well-known tool helps to cope with flatulence, not only in children, but also in rabbits. The medicine can be purchased at a regular pharmacy, dispensed without a prescription. True, the dosage for rabbits is not spelled out in the instructions. The maximum dose for the animal is 20 drops per 1 kg of weight, which is about 2 ml on average. The medicine is given every 3 hours three times a day. Espumisan is most easily given to an animal with a pipette or syringe without a needle.
- "Simethicone." An analogue of Espumisan, but in addition to a decrease in gas formation, has a slight analgesic effect. In the first 2-4 hours, "Simethicone" is administered 1-2 ml hourly. If the rabbit feels better, the remedy is given every three hours no more than three times.
- "Tympanol." It is indicated only for the treatment of adults. Contains antifoam and tinctures hellebore with wormwood. Designed for the treatment of cattle and small cattle, horses. Therefore, dosages for rabbits in the instructions you will not find. An emulsion is given to a sick animal 5 times a day. To do this, 0.4 ml of the drug is diluted in 0.16 ml of water, after which they feed the small patient with a pipette or syringe.
- Activated carbon. It is bred in a small amount per 1 tablet per 1 kg of live weight. The medicine is given to the rabbit with a pipette no more than 3 times a day.
- No-shpa. An injection is given for pain relief. Otherwise, the animal may die from pain shock. The procedure can be repeated 2-3 times a day.
- Antibiotics. The veterinarian prescribes them in case of an infectious disease. If the cause of tympanum is not related to infection, the antibiotic can make the rabbit feel worse.
- Glucose or Ringer-Locke solution. In case of dehydration, a small patient is injected subcutaneously to maintain strength. Glucose is mixed with saline in a ratio of 1: 1 in an amount of 10 ml per 1 kg of rabbit weight. The Ringer-Lock solution does not require dilution, and the dosage is similar.
Modern pharmacology offers a large number of drugs for the treatment of tympanum. However, it is advisable that the veterinarian examine the furry patient.
After using antibiotics, it is important to restore the intestinal microflora of the sick rabbit. For this, special drugs are used. probiotics, which are prescribed by the veterinarian. It is forbidden to use yogurt and kefir for this purpose. The gastrointestinal tract of herbivores is not able to digest lactose.
Relieve the suffering of a sick pet by using massage. To do this, fix the animal on the back, and then stroke the tummy with your hand from top to bottom, until the tail. Watch the health of the eared. If the baby rabbit squeals from pain, moderate zeal or completely stop the procedure. If the animal feels only a little discomfort, continue the massage. After removing air, the rabbit’s stomach should shrink and become softer.
Enema is another way to eliminate bloating. As the "filler" is used pure distilled or boiled water. The temperature of the liquid should correspond to the temperature of the rabbit’s body in order to reduce the stress of an already alarmed animal. To 500 ml of water, add a tablespoon of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) and a teaspoon of vegetable oil. For an enema to be more effective, accompany the process with a light massage. If after the procedure the skin tension on the abdomen has decreased, then everything is done correctly.
Massage and enema are unlikely to cure the patient completely, but can significantly alleviate the course of the disease.
It is contraindicated to warm the swollen belly of a rabbit using a heating pad or a salt sac. An increase in temperature activates gas formation and fermentation. Such actions can only worsen the already unimportant state of the animal.
People domesticated wild rabbits about two thousand years ago, and recent archaeological excavations in Spain and Portugal indicate a much more honorable age of rabbit breeding. 4 thousand years. During this time, little has changed in rabbit anatomy, which means that our ancestors repeatedly encountered flatulence in furry wards. Popular methods have come down to our times, with the help of which rabbit breeders fought tympany for many hundreds of years:
- Moonshine. Nowadays, moonshine is replaced by alcohol or vodka. Alcohol-containing liquid must be diluted with water to 30 degrees. For kids, one tablespoon of a life-giving drink is enough, for adults, a larger dose is suitable. two tablespoons. Alcohol inhibits fermentation, has an antiseptic effect, so it helps to cope with flatulence.
- Camomile tea. With antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties, chamomile helps to cope with any disease. If the rabbit is bothered by a swollen belly, replace the drinking water with the infusion of this medicinal flower. It’s easy to cook: pour a tablespoon of dried chamomile with a glass of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes. A cooled broth is given to the patient 30-40 ml, gradually increasing the dosage.
- Infusion of lemon balm or mint. Its preparation and use is similar to chamomile infusion, but instead of flowers, plant leaves are used. Melissa and mint are rich in menthol, which has local anesthetizing, antispasmodic and antiseptic properties. This improves peristalsis and copes with fermentation.
- Oat broth. Grain has an anti-inflammatory property, improves the absorption of food. To prepare the broth, you need to take 1 cup of crude oats, rinse it and pour a liter of cold water. After insisting for 12 hours, the container is heated over low heat, brought to a boil and boiled for half an hour. After removing from the fire, wrap the broth, stand for another 12 hours and filter. The rabbit is given a drink instead of water. initially 40 ml each, gradually increasing the dosage.
As an aid, folk methods have proven themselves well. But you should not rely solely on them.
It’s easier to prevent the rabbit from pouting than to treat a bloating. As a prevention of tympanum in rabbits, simple rules must be observed.
- Feeding furry animals must be done hourly. Chaotic eating leads to gastrointestinal problems. Usually rabbits are fed 2 times a day. in the morning and in the evening, with an interval of 12 hours.
- Animal feed should be of good quality, without mold, prel and fungus.
- Feed changes should occur gradually.
- In the rabbit’s cage, there must be clean water in the drinking bowl.
- Housing in rabbits should be quite spacious so as not to hamper the movement of "tenants".
- To prevent swallowing, rabbit cages should be thoroughly and regularly cleaned.
Preventive measures will help rabbits to avoid a sad fate. It is important to determine the cause and treatment for bloating in the rabbit. If the disease is of non-communicable origin, you can try to help a furry friend yourself. Therefore, the necessary drugs should always be in your medicine cabinet. If you are unable to cope with the disease on your own, you will have to consult a veterinarian.