Many diseases in rabbits are caused by parasites. Tiny insects cause pathological processes in animals. This is manifested in external signs. To help the animal, you need to figure out who is the causative agent of the disease. An ear mite in rabbits causes psoroptosis, a rapidly progressing disease that can lead to the death of an animal over time. Therefore, treatment should be started urgently after the detection of the parasite.
The causative agents of psoroptosis
An ear mite parasitizes on the inner surface of an animal’s ears. He is very small and cannot be seen with the naked eye. The size of the insect is 0.2-0.8 mm. It has an elongated rounded shape and a yellowish color. If timely treatment is not started, the parasites begin active reproduction, violating the integrity of the soft tissues and causing their severe inflammation.
Ways of infection
Animals become ill with psoroptosis mainly in the autumn-winter period. Ways of infection can be different.
- In the house another animal infected with parasites can live: a cat, a dog.
- The owner of the rabbit can put a tick on the clothes. Since pets are in contact with households, the tick easily moves to the animal’s ears from clothing.
- Another method of infection is objects that have been hit by insects. The rabbit can play with them or simply touch it while moving around the cage or room.
Once in a favorable environment for them, parasites become causative agents of serious diseases: otitis, meningitis, brain tumor.
Obvious signs are not detected immediately. The ear mite in rabbits causes the following symptoms:
- The pet twists its head and shakes its ears, as if trying to shake some foreign body out of them.
- The ushastik becomes restless, nervous, refuses to play.
- The animal’s appetite decreases. He eats less often and reluctantly.
- On the inner side of the ears appear red blisters filled with purulent contents. When they burst, the wounds dry out and small brown crusts form.
- If the animal is not clipped, it actively combes the ear area. Combing, healing, also covered with a dense crust.
- With the course of the disease, there are so many brown crusts in the ears that the pathogenic bacteria begin to “attack” the tissues of the ears, penetrating deeper into the body and “making their way” to the animal’s brain.
The symptoms of psoroptosis cannot be ignored, because fluff can die in a matter of months if no action is taken. Treatment of complicated forms of the disease can last a very long time.
Home and laboratory diagnostic method
Even such a tiny size of the parasite allows you to see it under a powerful magnifier. For this at home will need:
- petroleum jelly;
- not sharp, but rather thin and durable tool for removing scraping;
- a small piece of glass on which you can leave a scraping;
- a magnifying glass (if you have a microscope at home, you need to look through it).
Vaseline needs to be warmed up to a rabbit body temperature (about 40C). Under such conditions, parasites become active. Scraping should be put in petroleum jelly, and then carefully put on glass. Now the final stage of the home examination remains: a careful examination of the organic material under a magnifying glass or microscope. A large number of swarming yellow insects will confirm the assumption that the pet is sick.
Laboratory analysis is carried out using modern equipment and allows for a short time to make an accurate diagnosis. The specialist will also take a scraping and determine what caused the most severe inflammation in the ears.
Additionally, you may need:
- cytological examination;
- otoscope examination of the middle ear;
- X-ray or computed tomography if the inner ear is affected.
The defeat can be so strong that the animal is disrupted coordination of movements, it ceases to respond to external stimuli.
You can get rid of the disease in a matter of days by applying:
- Ivermectin (116 rubles). is administered subcutaneously in the form of injections;
- Stronghold (average cost. about 1000 rubles for 3 pipettes of 0.25 ml). even after a single use after 1 day, you can get a tangible result of treatment;
- Ampoules “Butox-50” (cost of 5 ampoules. 150 rubles). ears are irrigated with a solution: 1 ampoule is dissolved in 1 liter of water;
- Drops of “Dekt” (price. 94 rubles). are buried in the ears of the animal.
Aerosols based on chlorophos, cyodrin, neocidol, etc. have also been widely used. Within a second, aerosols are sprayed at a distance of 15 cm from the ears, directing the flow of the product to the inner surface of the ears. Treatment with them gives excellent results.
Traditional methods of treatment
Effective folk remedies include the use of camphor oil and turpentine. To do this, you need to stock up on an additional syringe and a clean cloth so that you can wipe off the excess funds. Camphor oil does not need to be diluted. They take it into a syringe and irrigate it with the inner surface of the pet’s ears. Treating your pet in this way is easy.
The same procedure is carried out using turpentine, but it is pre-mixed with vegetable oil: 2 parts of oil per 1 part of turpentine. The procedure, if necessary, is repeated after 2-3 weeks.
Treatment with proven folk remedies sometimes gives a very quick positive result.
Watch a video about the results of treating pets with folk remedies.
In order to again avoid repeated infection with an ear tick, it is necessary:
- conduct a thorough antiparasitic treatment of the premises, cages, things, furniture, carpets;
- carefully check the ears of the animal after each walk;
- exclude contact with a sick pet if there are several rabbits or a sick cat or dog is in the house;
- carefully examine the female, if after a few days she should be entangled (newborn rabbits can become infected with a tick);
- for the period of treatment, prohibit all households from contacting sick animals;
- carry out antiparasitic treatment with gloves, touching the sick rabbit only with his hands.
In order to prevent serious complications that can lead to the death of a pet, it is necessary to respond in time to external changes and unusual behavior of the animal. Attentive owners know the habits and habits of their pets, and if something goes wrong, they begin to sound the alarm in time for the symptoms that appear. The main thing is to prevent the spread of the inflammatory process inside the body, because it will be much easier to cope with a tick than with a brain tumor caused by it. It will have to be treated for a long time and no one guarantees that the treatment will be successful.