A rabbit, like a person, is susceptible to various diseases. One such disease is rhinitis. If a runny nose occurs, you need to know how to properly treat the animal. Every breeder should know all the ways, symptoms and preventive measures.
An advanced form of rhinitis can be fatal. Therefore, when symptoms of the disease appear, it is urgent to begin treatment. This disease is contagious. One diseased individual can infect an entire livestock.
- The most important reason is poor hygiene. A runny nose in a rabbit appears with poor ventilation, from poor-quality drinking water, long-changing litter. But it is worth considering that excessive disinfection also does harm;
- Another reason is dust. A particularly high dust cloud appears at the moment when the animals rake the hay. The components located in dry grass provoke an ordinary runny nose, which, over time, develops into a viral one;
- The cause may be damage to the nasal cavity during a fight. Harmful bacteria that inhabit the nasal cavity can penetrate bites and scratches. Because of this, this disease appears;
- Animals do not tolerate cells made of plastic. This material emits harmful substances, provokes stagnation of moist air. Because of this, plastic provokes various diseases, including a runny nose;
- An unhealthy diet is one of the main causes of rhinitis;
- Stressful situations cause a runny nose;
- Another reason is too dry indoor air;
- The presence of smells of cigarette smoke, aerosols.
A runny nose may appear with allergic reactions. If the animal did not have a cold, the cause is intolerance. In this case, it is urgent to identify the source of the allergy.
- Common cold. can develop with prolonged exposure to the sun, frost, heavy winds. It occurs in animals that are indoors with cold ventilation. In this case, the common cold and runny nose are an integral part of the disease.
- Contagious runny nose. treating this type of runny nose is much more difficult. It appears when viruses, dangerous bacteria. It is accompanied by infections that are transmitted from one animal to another.
How is the disease transmitted?
- Sick animals, their excrement, and remains are considered the main source of infection. Bacteria can spread throughout the farm. In practice, there have been cases of untimely isolation, which led to disastrous results.
- Infection occurs during incidents of individuals from different farms.
- Bacteria are transmitted through the hands of the owner, the inventory of a sick animal, granular feed.
- A pregnant female can become infected with rhinitis. But to slaughter an animal in this case is not recommended. As practice shows, babies do not always inherit infectious diseases. Therefore, 5-6 days after the round-up of newborns, rabbits are recommended to be planted with other lactating rabbits or fed independently from a pipette. Kids safely develop and grow up completely healthy. But there were still unsuccessful scenarios. The female infected her cubs. It was not possible to cure them. Kids were dying of infectious rhinitis.
When the following symptoms appear, it is urgent to start treating the animal:
- There was a strong redness of the nose;
- The airways have increased in size;
- The animal is constantly sneezing;
- An individual constantly rubs its nose with its paws;
- Discharges with pus began to appear.
Most breeders use an autopsy to find out the cause of their pet’s death. The main signs of an infectious rhinitis:
- A large amount of nasal secretion accumulates in the nasal cavity. The mucous membrane becomes reddened and thickened.
- The trachea should have miniature blood vessels completely filled with blood. The walls of the trachea can be covered with pus and mucus.
- The lungs are swollen, enlarged. They have the darkest shade. In some cases, abscesses are observed. They can be surrounded by cluster-shaped or separate sealed capsules. Inside such abscesses are purulent discharge.
With the advanced form of the disease, an abscess can capture a very large area of the lung. They independently open, filling with pus the entire area of the respiratory tract. With pathological autopsies, a sharp unpleasant odor may be present. Sometimes completely neglected forms of the disease are observed. In this case, the lungs are completely decomposed.
There are two treatment options. You must select one of them:
In the first case it is necessary to do intramuscular injections. It is strictly forbidden to mix drugs. Also, syringes with needles of different diameters cannot be used. Injections must be done 5 days.
- Ribotan. per 1 kg of live weight of 0.25 ml of the drug;
- Maksidin. per 1 kg of live weight 0.3 ml of the drug;
- Fosprenil. per 1 kg of live weight 0.5 ml of the drug.
Treatment must be carried out once every 14 days. In total, you need to produce 4 full courses. The entire dosage must be entered within 60 days. Scheme: 5 days with drugs 9 days of rest 5 days with drugs.
Watch a useful video about treating a runny nose in a rabbit.
If rhinitis is detected, it is necessary to begin treatment with special drugs. The most famous are:
- Veracin-comp®. penicillin supplement. For 1 kg of live weight, it is necessary to give 0.1 ml of the drug. The agent is injected into the body of the animal;
- Marbocyl® 2%. is a strong antibiotic. For 1 kg of live weight, 0.1 ml of the drug should be administered. The drug is administered as an injection;
- Chloramphenicol. It is also a very strong antibiotic. For 100 grams of live weight give 2-5 ml of funds;
- Baytril® 2.5%. a strong antibiotic. For 1 kg of live weight, 0.3 ml of the drug should be given. The drug is injected into the body as an injection or internally with food;
- Chloropal forte®. a powerful tool. For 1 kg of live weight give 0.2-0.5 ml of the drug.
- It is necessary to isolate sick individuals from healthy animals;
- Inventory, bedding should be thoroughly disinfected;
- It is necessary to find a professional veterinarian who will examine the animal;
- Medical studies must be prescribed;
- It is important to detect drug sensitivity;
- The nose must be washed with a solution of furacilin;
- It is necessary to prescribe a vitamin complex;
- With a strong form, you should start taking antibiotics;
- You should start to take drugs that increase immunity.
In order to avoid the occurrence of this disease, it is necessary:
- Conduct a thorough inspection of animals at least once every 7 days;
- Maintain the necessary humidity in the rooms;
- Observe hygiene standards;
- Prevent the appearance of cold gusts of wind;
- Follow the necessary diet;
- To vaccinate every 5-6 months;
- Disinfect the room at least once every 7 days.
Additional care and treatment for rhinitis
- Inhalation. the procedure can be carried out with the help of thyme, peppermint, sage or other medicinal herbs. Allowed to add essential oils. Such a folk remedy helps get rid of accumulated mucus in the sinuses.
- Homeopathy. an excellent German remedy. For 1 kg of live weight, 1 ml of solution should be administered. The treatment period: 5 days.
- Nutrition. must be present healing herbs and fresh herbs. Mixtures of peppermint or chamomile can be added to the water. The animal must receive all the necessary vitamins. You can give fruits and vegetables.
- Heat. You can put an infrared lamp. Sick individuals must be kept warm. The use of heating pads is allowed. You can also warm the ears with the heat of your hands.
- Graft. allowed to vaccinate individuals from various diseases. You need to be vaccinated every six months.
Runny nose in rabbits can be treated with surgery. To do such operations is dangerous, but sometimes necessary. Sinusitis, which appeared after viral rhinitis, secretes a huge amount of pus. It is located in the sinuses of the nasal cavity. Because of this, advanced forms of the disease are not effective to treat with the help of medical devices. It is necessary to take the animal for examination to a veterinarian. He is required to prescribe surgical procedures. Along with operations, the use of medical devices should continue. With the help of operations, you can get rid of pus from the sinuses of the nasal region. Also, surgery helps to eliminate a protracted runny nose. After surgery, with the help of laboratory tests, you can identify the most effective treatment method.
Care during treatment
- Runny nose in rabbits must be treated in a timely manner;
- It is important that during the disease, the eared speaker has all the necessary conditions;
- Diet should be carefully thought out and balanced. It is necessary to have fresh herbs and herbs;
- Indoors, individuals should have good ventilation. It is necessary that animals walk in the fresh air;
- Fresh drinking water should be in unlimited quantities.
Pet Buying Precautions
- Take the animal at the same time by the ears and withers. Turn the rabbit upside down on its back. In this case, the pet must implicitly perform actions. The rabbit should lie on its back calmly.
- At least 60 seconds, it is necessary to alternately close the nostrils of the animal. Thus, you can easily check for the presence of sinusitis or pus.
- No breathing should be heard when breathing. The animal must breathe calmly and evenly.
If symptoms of rhinitis are detected, the purchase should be discarded.
Use of rabbits with rhinitis
Rabbit rhinitis for children and adults is not a big danger. The susceptibility of people to infection is very low. Therefore, slaughter carcasses can be consumed as food. Boil the meat thoroughly or fry. The exception is the chest of the animal, as well as its lungs. Experienced breeders recommend carefully disassembling and disposing of these organs. But some livestock farmers recommend not eating meat from animals that have had rhinitis. It is completely very difficult to cure an animal from this disease. Harmful microorganisms must remain in the lungs. It is recommended to dry the skins, fur and fluff after removal from slaughter carcasses thoroughly in separate rooms. The dried-up fur is carried out in the sun for 10-15 minutes. After this, the material can be used without restrictions, since all bacteria will die.