Many can say that diarrhea in animals is a common everyday thing. Like, something ate something, something hit. But to treat such an ordinary phenomenon at first glance is not worth it. It is important to remember that diarrhea is not an independent disease, but only a symptom that may indicate more complex problems. So, the rabbit has diarrhea: what to do, why it occurs and how to treat it, let’s find out together.
Causes of occurrence
There can be many reasons why rabbits have diarrhea. This is the most common poor-quality feeding, poisoning and even infection with some kind of infection. It is important to note that the reasons may be different in animals of different ages. To begin, let’s look at all the possible options:
- ordinary worms, especially in rabbits;
- poor-quality feed. spoiled, moldy, sour, etc.
- poisoning with poisonous or spoiled feed;
- enteritis disease;
- intestinal viruses and infections;
- dental diseases;
- mistakes in leaving.
If your animal suddenly has diarrhea and for no apparent reason, the first thing to do is contact your veterinarian. It is necessary to provide stool samples to the laboratory.
Diarrhea in rabbits
Young rabbits are most prone to loose stools. For example, this symptom may be a signal of too early excommunication. For this reason, many babies have a violation of the digestive system, so diarrhea often occurs. It may even lead to the introduction of a new product into the diet. Most often, this phenomenon haunts decorative rabbits, therefore, experts do not recommend taking animals under 8 weeks old.
Mother’s milk helps to form the necessary pH level in the intestines of babies, which simplifies the transition to new feeds and prevents the occurrence of enteritis.
Coccidiosis is another cause of diarrhea in rabbits. At the same time, you can’t delay and you can’t do without antibiotic treatment. Otherwise, severe dehydration may occur and the animal will die. Young rabbits are also often blasphemed due to a sharp change in diet and lack of fiber. In this case, the usual dysbacteriosis occurs.
Diarrhea in adult rabbits
Not only in rabbits, but also in adult animals, diarrhea often occurs. In this case, such a symptom can hide many causes. The most common are related to problems and disorders in the diet. Too starchy, protein foods can cause severe digestive upsets and dysbiosis on its soil. If you give your decorative pet sweets, bread, crackers and more, then you can prepare for diarrhea.
Foods that are high in starch most often result in liquid bowel movements in rabbits. At the same time, this concerns both decorative animals and ordinary animals bred in agriculture. Lack of fiber leads to digestion. Rabbits should always have unlimited grass and hay. With their lack of intestinal walls weaken, and feces go bad. This causes cecum dysbiosis.
Often in adults, diarrhea occurs not only because of nutrition or illness, other hidden factors, often not even related to digestion, can lead to this symptom. For example, stress. The stressful situation, especially in rabbits, often causes relaxation of the intestinal walls. Even with the right diet, if the animal has stress, diarrhea can occur. In addition, dental problems, heavy breathing, or a violation of urination also lead to diarrhea.
Problem Solving Methods
So, if your animal, whether decorative or ordinary, has diarrhea, you should immediately accurately establish a diagnosis if possible and improve the conditions of detention. The animal must be planted in a clean cage, given fresh water or chamomile infusion, washed as necessary. Pay attention to the color and consistency of feces, which will help to understand a little the cause of the disease. If they have a too strong smell, impurities of mucus, an unusual color, then it is worth showing the pet to the veterinarian and making an analysis. Often, such diarrhea can indicate an infection or a virus that should be treated as soon as possible.
If diarrhea caused food poisoning, you must immediately remove all vegetables, fruits and herbs from the diet. In the diet we leave only granular dry food and hay. For treatment, immediately give half a tablet of activated charcoal and a lot of water. It is best to pour clean water into the drinker and the infusion of pharmacy chamomile. After reducing watery discharge, it is worth giving probiotics to the rabbit for several days, for example, Linex take half a capsule in the morning and evening.
Unfortunately, often rabbits die very quickly due to dehydration and due to untimely treatment. If diarrhea is caused by infection or parasites, then without the necessary antibiotic it is difficult to put the animal on its feet. To do this, you need to go to the veterinarian, so that he prescribed the necessary drug and dose.
The main actions of the owner
- Before treating diarrhea, completely remove all fruits, vegetables, berries and herbs from the diet.
- Give the animal a strong infusion of chamomile at the rate of half a tablespoon per 1 tablespoon of water, as well as a decoction of oak bark.
- Give activated carbon half a tablet.
- In order to prevent dehydration, it is necessary to inject saline or Ringer’s solution of 10-12 ml per kilogram of weight 2-4 times a day.
- If there is no appetite and the animal does not eat anything, then add 5% glucose to the saline solution at the rate of 1: 1.
- With strong gas formation, 1 ml per 1 kg of Espumisan weight can be given.
- If the animal’s condition does not improve, consult a doctor.
The best treatment is prevention. If you want your rabbits to always be alert and healthy, watch out for their nutrition.
- Do not give banned or substandard products.
- Carefully pick greens and fruits.
- Limit the number of vegetables, berries, especially exotic ones.
- Wash and peel vegetables and greens thoroughly.
- Keep clean, clean the cage in a timely manner, and prevent the spread of infections and viruses.
- It is necessary to do vaccinations and preventive measures against ailments and diseases. Timely treatment of all pets and quarantine will protect against the spread of infections.
- Behave with the animal calmly, do not create stressful situations for it.